Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Language Questions / Re: the policy covers / applies to
« Last post by admin on January 17, 2022, 08:49:43 am »
Yes. I think "covers" is fine but, as you say, "applies" works better here. It means it is an enforceable condition.
Language Questions / Re: healthier and stronger
« Last post by admin on January 17, 2022, 08:48:08 am »
You are right - and there is very little wrong with your English!

Fans can have a very wide meaning and can include fans of sports people. The original question was to turn "was" to "were" - the word fans is plural.

I hope that helps.
Language Questions / the policy covers / applies to
« Last post by bookworm on January 16, 2022, 01:32:12 pm »
A non-native speaker has used the verb cover in contexts similar to the following:

The "no vax, no entry" policy covers all restaurants and hotels without exceptions.​
The "no vax, no ride" policy covers all modes of transport whether by air, land, and sea.​

It appears that cover is only used with insurance policies of any kind. When talking about rules and regulations, ordinances, etc., it seems that the verb apply is more appropriate:

The "no vax, no entry" policy applies to all restaurants and hotels without exceptions.​
The "no vax, no ride" policy applies to all modes of transport whether by air, land, and sea.​

Do you agree?
Language Questions / to maximize a status
« Last post by bookworm on January 16, 2022, 12:01:36 pm »
I just want to confirm if you can maximize a status, whether you're vaxxed, unvaxxed, or boosted for the first time. For example, Joe is antivax but is forced to receive the jab because he could be fired. He is now boosted because he is thinking about the future when boosters may be required in order to work or buy something or both. Now he regrets his decision after the Supreme Court ruling that vaccine mandates is unconstitutional. So Joe gives unsolicited advice to everyone.

Try to maximize your vaccination status.​

This is what he means. If you're unvaxxed, don't get the jab unless you will lose your job or you won't be able to buy food. When that happens, then it's up to you to consider taking the shot. But it's too early to get boosted. Unless the same requirement is imposed on unboosted people, then that's the time to consider receiving a booster shot.

If maximize is incorrectly used here, how would you express Joe's idea?
« Last post by highdeki on January 15, 2022, 08:16:11 am »
Maybe, my English is so poor that you can't understand my question.
Sorry about that.

What I want to know is that "getting healthier and stronger" suggests that Mike's fans take exercise and they don't get sick?

In the sentence, 'fans' means the same meaning as 'baseball fans' or 'fans of John Wayne'. Am I right?

If so, Mike (a singer, or an actor whatever) has a lot of fans, and they take exercise every day?
I don't get the situation.
« Last post by admin on January 14, 2022, 05:18:07 pm »
I am not sure I understand your problem. The sentence is fine as it is...
Language Questions / healthier and stronger
« Last post by highdeki on January 14, 2022, 08:22:09 am »
Mike's fans are getting healthier and stronger.

What's the meaning of "healthier(healthy) and stronger(strong).

The sentence is from my grammar workbook.
Originally,  you have to change the word or form in the sentence.

"Mike's fans was getting healthier and stronger." (wrong)
⇒"Mike's fans were getting healthier and stronger." (correct)

This quiz has only one sentence, so I don' t get the meaning of "healthier and stronger."

I was wondering if you could help me understand the sentence.
Language Questions / Re: is it compatible with other financial assistance? ​
« Last post by Britta on January 13, 2022, 02:31:41 pm »
The word you are looking for may rather be "parallel" or "concurrent" instead of compatible.
Language Questions / is it compatible with other financial assistance? ​
« Last post by bookworm on January 13, 2022, 02:22:09 pm »
Young people in Spain may start receiving financial assistance (maximum of 250 euros) to pay the rent if the law is approved next week. It seems that it will be in a form of a voucher. The Spanish text uses the cognate "compatible" (adjective), but I don't think the literal translation works in this context. 

LITERAL TRANSLATION:

Is it compatible with other forms of financial assistance? ​

It depends. If these young people are already receiving some sort of assistance to pay the rent from the autonomous communities, local entities or other administrations or public entities, the voucher from the Government will be incompatible.... ​

I THINK THIS IS BETTER:

Are they entitled to this voucher if they are already receiving other forms of financial assistance? ​

It depends. If these young people are already receiving some sort of assistance to pay the rent from the autonomous communities, local entities or other administrations or public entities, they are not entitled to receive this voucher from the Government....
Language Questions / Re: that I had bought
« Last post by admin on January 10, 2022, 04:30:57 pm »
BTW - you don't need "that" in the last two - it is optional.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10