Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Language Questions / Readings in "Can he always be wrong?"
« Last post by Nananara on August 31, 2021, 09:41:31 am »
Hello.

Could you tell me which reading is appropriate in the the following sentence?

Can he always be wrong?
➀=Is it always possible that he is wrong?
②=Is it possible that he is always wrong?

Thank you.
Language Questions / Re: just any
« Last post by admin on August 30, 2021, 08:18:54 am »
1 doesn't work.
2 is fine but you could refine it: ...under those conditions... ...under such conditions...
Language Questions / just any
« Last post by navi on August 30, 2021, 03:49:15 am »
Which is correct:
1) I can't work for you under just any conditions just to make ends meet. Some requirements will have to be met regarding the workplace before I start work.
2) I can't work for you under any conditions just to make ends meet. Some requirements will have to be met regarding the workplace before I start work.

I think the 'just' is necessary. Without it, the first sentence seems to say that there is no way I will work for you. However, I wonder if one cannot save to by putting a lot of emphasis on 'any'. Maybe if it is heavily accentuated the sentence would work in this context?

Gratefully,
Navi
Language Questions / Re: guarantee satisfaction for customers, or to customers
« Last post by hide on August 29, 2021, 02:15:24 pm »
Thank you, Duncan.
So, what is the difference between #3 and #4?  What's the difference between 'to all our clients' and 'for all our clients'?
As for the verb 'give',  'to' is used to express indirect object,  not 'for'.
We don't say, 'I will give it for you', but 'I will give it to you.'
How about the verb 'guarantee'?  Are both 'to' and 'for' used?

Thanks, in advance.
Language Questions / Re: guarantee satisfaction for customers, or to customers
« Last post by admin on August 28, 2021, 09:50:32 pm »
They are all fine.
Language Questions / Re: Don't understand the last part of this text
« Last post by admin on August 28, 2021, 09:49:49 pm »
Q1. Yes
Q2. Yes they are. It is not very nicely phrased but, yes, the same. They are the people who could be being manipulated.
Q3. You can either win them to your side by being [politely and gently] persuasive or you can upset them.
Language Questions / Re: Please, I need help.
« Last post by admin on August 27, 2021, 10:02:00 am »
1 and 2 are fine. IN #2 I prefer who but either is acceptable.
3 is not natural - I would abandon that one.
4 is OK. It is quite specific but, if that is what you want to say, it is fine. I would prefer (to simplify...) How many people are there able to do that kind of work.
Language Questions / Please, I need help.
« Last post by Carmelo Labadie on August 27, 2021, 06:00:45 am »
Could someone good at English please help check if my sentences below are grammatical and understandable? Which one is, which one is not?

1.How many people do you think can do that kind of work?
2.How many people are there who/that can do that kind of work?
3.How many people are there whose ability is enough to do that kind of work?
4.How many people are there to be able to do that kind of work?
Language Questions / Don't understand the last part of this text
« Last post by icedisk on August 26, 2021, 03:45:30 am »
Fearmongering is a method used historically by many people in positions of power to control their population. They do this by intimidating their peoples with ideas of death, disease, or violence. They might try to assure their audience that the worst will come to pass if they refuse to join them or do what the person in power wants them to. Normal everyday people can also often use fearmongering against other people, often threatening someone with social exclusion or being shunned from a group. This style of social engineering, using fear and shame to control whoever you want in whatever way you need, has been used to control and keep down the public for many years. Although the way that some people use this kind of manipulation has evolved to fit the narrative of our modern lives over the year, the core values of the methods remain the same: you either persuade an audience by being open about your values and trying to get them to side with you, or you can get under that person?s skin.

(1) you either persuade (2) an audience by being open about your values and trying to get (3) them to side you, or you can get under (4) that person?s skin.

Q1. is (1) you the same person you above ?
Q2. Are (2) an audience, (3) them, (4) that person the same, such as the people intimidating or manipulating people?
Q3. I don't understand the underlined part correctly considering the whole flow. Please explain it if you understand it.
Cafe / Re: What are you reading?
« Last post by Darryl on August 25, 2021, 01:33:22 pm »
 :) :) ,too.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]