Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Language Questions / the good times
« Last post by azz on Today at 09:09:07 am »
a. That was the good time of my life.
b. Those were the good times of my life.

What is the difference in the meanings of those sentences?

Many thanks.
Cafe / Re: Been Away
« Last post by Bertha on October 21, 2021, 01:23:36 pm »
I'll wait to hear Darryl's hammering across the ocean and the news of Bertha's house with a little too much free space.  --- tk

You may need to wait awhile longer, but I make progress each day. I've been sorting, selling, donating, and throwing away stuff all around. 
Language Questions / Re: ellipsis?
« Last post by admin on October 20, 2021, 08:04:11 pm »
Britta is spot on but, I would also accept: #1 and #3
Language Questions / Re: marshmallow challenge
« Last post by admin on October 20, 2021, 08:01:23 pm »
Almost...
The huge prize led to haste in building the structures which then collapsed.
More haste, less speed!
Language Questions / marshmallow challenge
« Last post by wooseungyeon on October 20, 2021, 12:31:05 pm »
Do you think the underlined sentence mean that "the low structures were created in the marshmallow challenge because of the great prize"? in this paragraph?

A great prize which was worth of 10,000 dollar was to be offered to the winning team that made the highest structure with a marshmallow on top. In this exercise, not one team had a standing structure. With their passion for the great prize, they didn?t expect that a marshmallow was heavy enough to destroy the structure, and they focused on assembling ever-growing structures. If anyone had built even a one inch structure, they would have taken home the prize. It is interesting that high stakes have a strong impact. Several months later, I did the exercise again with the same students. This time, they understand the value of prototyping; they build the structure keeping the marshmallow on top. The same team went from being the very worst to being among the very best. This provides deep lessons for us about the nature of incentives and success.
Language Questions / Re: ellipsis?
« Last post by Britta on October 20, 2021, 07:32:24 am »
I'm sorry Navi, but none of them works.
He can't hear you, but you can hear him.etc.
Language Questions / ellipsis?
« Last post by navi on October 20, 2021, 03:22:38 am »
Which are correct:

1) He can't hear you, but you can him.

2) He doesn't hear you, but you do him.

3) He can hear you, but you can't him.
4) He hears you, but you don't him.

5) He can't hear you, but you do him.
6) He doesn't hear you, but you can him.

7) He can hear you, but you don't him.

8) He hears you, but you can't him.

Gratefully,
Navi
« Last post by t k on October 13, 2021, 03:57:56 am »
I'll wait to hear Darryl's hammering across the ocean and the news of Bertha's house with a little too much free space.  --- tk
« Last post by admin on October 12, 2021, 03:29:05 pm »
Big hugs chum.  :-*
« Last post by Bertha on October 12, 2021, 03:21:53 pm »
Good to hear that Darryl is feeling better and others are well. I know I haven't logged in for awhile, but I've been pretty busy of late.  Sorting through all the accumulation of "stuff" is hard on both my body as well as my mind. Some things I pull out and can't bear to part with them. Others I look at and wonder why I still have it or why I had it in the first place and kept!  Those of you on Facebook know I had a yard sale over the weekend, mostly to sell as many books as possible.  I sold some but it barely put a dent in the books left.  I will get them boxed this week and a scheduled pick up will happen on Friday--the Salvation Army gets them now.  Still have more stuff to dispose of, so I'll be at this until I can't anymore. 

Autumn is here but coming in with a bang--severe weather--wind, rain, hail, and tornadoes.  Thankfully, some areas have a lower chance, including where I live.  I hope the worst stays out on the prairie.

B.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10