Author Topic: to maximize a status  (Read 569 times)

Offline bookworm

to maximize a status
« on: January 16, 2022, 12:01:36 pm »
I just want to confirm if you can maximize a status, whether you're vaxxed, unvaxxed, or boosted for the first time. For example, Joe is antivax but is forced to receive the jab because he could be fired. He is now boosted because he is thinking about the future when boosters may be required in order to work or buy something or both. Now he regrets his decision after the Supreme Court ruling that vaccine mandates is unconstitutional. So Joe gives unsolicited advice to everyone.

Try to maximize your vaccination status.​

This is what he means. If you're unvaxxed, don't get the jab unless you will lose your job or you won't be able to buy food. When that happens, then it's up to you to consider taking the shot. But it's too early to get boosted. Unless the same requirement is imposed on unboosted people, then that's the time to consider receiving a booster shot.

If maximize is incorrectly used here, how would you express Joe's idea?
English is my second language.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
Re: to maximize a status
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 08:52:07 am »
I am not sure how to express that idea succinctly - do you mean:

Don't go further than you have to with you vaccination level?
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline bookworm

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 03:13:27 pm »
Thanks, Duncan.

To maximize your vaccination status means to assess what you can or cannot do based on your current status. If you can still work and buy food by being unvaxxed, then there's no reason to get the jab. You can remain unvaxxed in that case. Now if you cannot work or buy food (life and death situation) without being fully vaxxed or being boosted, then that's the time to consider the vax or the booster shot.

But if you are an antivax multimillionaire or billionaire who doesn't need to work, then you may never need to take the jab at all, unless they start restricting the financial transactions of the unvaxxed or the unboosted.

I don't think maximize is the right word here. How would you express Joe's advice in this situation?

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 03:19:12 pm »
To take maximum advantage from...
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 09:56:25 am »
I wouldn't understand.
I take "maximize your vaccination status" as "get as many vaccinations as you can".
Perhaps the word you need is "optimize"?
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson

Offline bookworm

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 07:12:01 pm »
Thanks, Britta. But I realize that a single sentence may not be enough to express the idea. So it's always better to explain it using more than one sentence.