Author Topic: is it compatible with other financial assistance? ​  (Read 605 times)

Offline bookworm

is it compatible with other financial assistance? ​
« on: January 13, 2022, 02:22:09 pm »
Young people in Spain may start receiving financial assistance (maximum of 250 euros) to pay the rent if the law is approved next week. It seems that it will be in a form of a voucher. The Spanish text uses the cognate "compatible" (adjective), but I don't think the literal translation works in this context. 

LITERAL TRANSLATION:

Is it compatible with other forms of financial assistance? ​

It depends. If these young people are already receiving some sort of assistance to pay the rent from the autonomous communities, local entities or other administrations or public entities, the voucher from the Government will be incompatible.... ​

I THINK THIS IS BETTER:

Are they entitled to this voucher if they are already receiving other forms of financial assistance? ​

It depends. If these young people are already receiving some sort of assistance to pay the rent from the autonomous communities, local entities or other administrations or public entities, they are not entitled to receive this voucher from the Government....
English is my second language.

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
Re: is it compatible with other financial assistance? ​
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 02:31:41 pm »
The word you are looking for may rather be "parallel" or "concurrent" instead of compatible.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson