Author Topic: common interests  (Read 6020 times)

Takashi

common interests
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:02:24 pm »
I'd appreciate it if you could tell me the meaning of "common interests" in the following sentences.

"In addition to social mobility, social mobility also plays a role in differences in friendship patterns between Germany and the United States. Americans tend to form friendships on the basis of common interests, and because Americans tend to define their identities mere in terms of occupation than do Germans, work-related interests often determine whom Americans socialize with. As a person's job or position changes, so do that person's interests, and consequently, social circle. In the U.S. friendships tend to form in "large, loose networks of people. Phrases such as "my friend from work," or "my bowling friends" describe these wide, relaxed networks of friends."

"Interests" can mean "things that you enjoy doing" or "things that bring advantages to someone or something." I first thought "social interests" in the first sentence has the former meaning, because it says "my bowling friends" and "these wide, relaxed networks of friends" in the last sentence. However,
the second sentence says "work-related interests," and the third sentence says that a person's interests change when his/her job or position changes (It seems to me that changing jobs does not always change what a person likes to do, which makes me feel that "interest" here has the latter meaning or something like "involvement."

But then,  the third sentence may simply mean that when people change  jobs, they  tend to like what their new coworkers enjoy doing. If this is correct, "interests" means "things that you enjoy doing."

Could you tell me which interpretation is correct? Could you also tell me how to paraphrase the expression "common interests" in the passage?

Thank you very much.

Takashi
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:04:39 pm by Takashi »

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
Re: common interests
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:22:03 pm »
Interests that they share.
Best wishes,

Duncan

Takashi

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 03:38:23 pm »
Thank you very much indeed, Mr Baker!

Could you tell me if I am correct in thinking that this phrase has the same meaning ("interests that they share" meaning "mutual interests") as in "They share a common interest in photography," and not "interests that they share in business"?

I'd appreciate it if you could tell me whether it is all right to think that the third sentence may simply mean that when people change  jobs, they tend to like what their new coworkers enjoy doing.

Thank you very much.
Takashi
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:51:36 pm by Takashi »

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:19:08 pm »
Most of the interests that they share come from work.
When they change jobs they get a new set of interests.
Best wishes,

Duncan

Takashi

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:02:48 am »
Thank you very much, Mr Baker. I really appreciate it.
Everything is clear now.

Takashi