Author Topic: Been Away  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Been Away
« on: July 20, 2021, 12:18:36 pm »
Hello everyone,
I haven't been contributing much to the forum of late. The last couple of months have not been ones that I will care to remember.
In May my younger brother passed away from a sudden heart attack. Our Mother, as you would expect, found that hard to handle at the age of 93. She too, passed away a fortnight later.
My health has not been so good either and I am just recovering from a prostate operation. I will spare you the details but you can imagine that things are a bit uncomfortable at present.
Just wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten this forum, of which I have been a member since the 1990s. I will hopefully get back to contributing when things settle down.
Cheers and best to you all,
Darryl

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
Re: Been Away
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 12:24:58 pm »
Oh bugger.  :(

Nice to hear from you old chum. Stay strong.
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 12:50:16 pm »
Darryl, my sincere condolences for your family's losses.  I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery.  Take care! 

Cheers!
Bertha

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 08:09:27 am »
My condolences too. That's a lot to swallow.Also wishing you a speedy recovery.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline JTL

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 11:15:22 am »
Darryl, so sorry to hear about the sad news.  Hope things turn for the better.  Life is cruel, we need courage!

JTL

Offline t k

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 01:03:22 pm »
I am sorry to hear that, Darryl, but I hope you recover soon from your operation and your losses.  --- tk

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 11:34:13 am »
I do not have any excuse for not contributing very much at all in recent months other than being busy at work. I was on holiday last week (north Wiltshire, a cottage in the countryside) but apart from that, I have been working full time.

Darryl, I am very sorry to hear of the deaths of your brother and mother. It must be heart-breaking to lose a child so I feel for your mother. I hope she didn't linger in a nursing home as that must also be very hard. And your own health - do take care!

All best,
David / davel
David

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 08:28:00 am »
Just caught up. Thank you all for your kind comments and good wishes.
Pleased to report that things are going OK, although I will not swing a blacksmith hammer for a few weeks yet. Should be able to get back to some light work after the doctor's review in a week's time.
Cheers to you all,
Darryl

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 09:28:12 am »
 :)
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2021, 11:17:37 am »
Just caught up. Thank you all for your kind comments and good wishes.
Pleased to report that things are going OK, although I will not swing a blacksmith hammer for a few weeks yet. Should be able to get back to some light work after the doctor's review in a week's time.
Cheers to you all,
Darryl

I hope you're feeling much better!
Bertha

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 11:18:28 am »
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 12:11:44 pm »
Pleased to report I've been back at work for a couple of weeks now, and progressing well. Need a bit more energy, but am coping with light work.
Hope you are all doing well.
Cheers,
Darryl

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 12:41:57 pm »
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 07:53:04 am »
Pleased to report I've been back at work for a couple of weeks now
Hmm, and I thought, you were enjoying your retirement...  8) Good to hear, though.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 03:21:53 pm »
Good to hear that Darryl is feeling better and others are well. I know I haven't logged in for awhile, but I've been pretty busy of late.  Sorting through all the accumulation of "stuff" is hard on both my body as well as my mind. Some things I pull out and can't bear to part with them. Others I look at and wonder why I still have it or why I had it in the first place and kept!  Those of you on Facebook know I had a yard sale over the weekend, mostly to sell as many books as possible.  I sold some but it barely put a dent in the books left.  I will get them boxed this week and a scheduled pick up will happen on Friday--the Salvation Army gets them now.  Still have more stuff to dispose of, so I'll be at this until I can't anymore. 

Autumn is here but coming in with a bang--severe weather--wind, rain, hail, and tornadoes.  Thankfully, some areas have a lower chance, including where I live.  I hope the worst stays out on the prairie.

B.
Bertha