Author Topic: Flooding  (Read 827 times)

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
Flooding
« on: July 17, 2021, 12:50:58 pm »
I am keeping all those in western Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands who have been affected by the flooding in mind.  I think especially of the families and friends of those who are missing or were not found alive.  Know that people around the world are thinking of you, praying or sending healing thoughts. 
Bertha

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
Re: Flooding
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 07:39:44 am »
Thanks, Bertha. Fortunately we were not hit here in the Wiesbaden area, just a little flooding in the harbour but nothing unusual. There was some damage in my hometown and a lot of damage in the town where I went to school, just a few kilometers from my hometown where the valley gets very narrow and the water rises quickly. Family and friends are fine, though.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 11:36:38 am »
 :)
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 12:47:35 pm »
Britta, thanks for the update. I am so glad to know you and your family and friends are safe.  So sorry about all those affected, though.
Bertha

Offline JTL

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 11:17:20 am »
Oh my god, I wasn't aware of any of these. 

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 12:01:05 pm »
Oh my god, I wasn't aware of any of these.

JTL, were you able to find reports in the media about the floods in Europe?  Really hard time for those folks.  The climate changes are affecting places in the world with unusual events like this.  The western parts of the US are under an extreme drought, with high temperatures that they have seldom had in the past, and of course, all that has contributed to huge, numerous wildfires.  In areas such as California where a great amount of fresh produce is grown, the droughts have lowered water levels to a point that farmers are desperate.  It's all pretty dire.  I expect many such extremes will continue to occur around the world, unless we as humans change our ways. 

Take care where you live since I know your region is vulnerable to severe storms sometimes. 
Bertha

Offline t k

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 01:14:53 pm »
July is supposed to be our season of monsoon, a lot of rain.  This year, not much, very unusual July, indeed.  --- tk

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2021-07-21/extreme-weather-worldwide-climate-change-disasters

Offline JTL

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 10:18:25 pm »
JTL, were you able to find reports in the media about the floods in Europe? 

Yes, with free internet access I can find such reports.  I never have the habit of checking up news and only hear about something through the people I am in contact with, but I have seriously cut down such contacts too.

Take care where you live since I know your region is vulnerable to severe storms sometimes.

Recently the heavy rain here has been scary, but our bigger problem is still the escalating cases of covid-19.

[/quote]