Author Topic: mechanics of a game or contest  (Read 263 times)

Offline bookworm

mechanics of a game or contest
« on: April 11, 2021, 05:39:19 pm »
I've heard non-native speakers in my area use the word mechanics to refer to how a game or contest works. Please confirm if we can call the following conditions the mechanics of the contest:

1. Here's how you can win an all-expense-paid trip to Japan. Record yourself reading a Japanese poem and upload it on your social media account. The video must not exceed two minutes and must be shared to the public. The video with the most number of likes by the end of the month wins (April 30, at 11:59 p.m.).

2. There are only two schools in a small community, and each one will send their best speller to participate in a spelling contest organized by a local institution. There are two parts. In the first part, they will spell the words normally. In the second part, they will spell them backwards. The list of 100 words will be randomly and equally assigned to the participants. If one misspells a word, the opponent can steal.

The following definition seems to fit the context, but I'm not sure if it can be applied to contests:

mechanics
2.1 The way in which something is done or operated.

https://www.lexico.com/definition/mechanics
English is my second language.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
Re: mechanics of a game or contest
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 10:31:45 am »
Yes, I am happy with that.
Best wishes,

Duncan