Author Topic: A short passage from Gone with the wind  (Read 5312 times)

Offline xiemengxing

A short passage from Gone with the wind
« on: November 13, 2016, 08:55:49 am »
Hello everyone,

‘Yas’m, you is! Ah ain’ figgerin’ on havin’ happen whut happen at dat las’ barbecue w’en Ah wuz too sick frum dem chittlins Ah et ter fetch you no tray befo’ you went. You is gwine eat eve’y bite of dis.’

This passage comes from Chapter 5, Gone With The Wind
What does it mean? Can this passage be “deciphered” as the following? If so, what is the normal wording?
Yes, madam. You is! I am not forgetting on having happen what happen at that last barbecue when I was too sick from them chittlins I ate the fetch you no tray before you went. You is going eat every bite of this.

Many thanks.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: A short passage from Gone with the wind
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 10:48:00 am »
You are pretty close I think. I'll have a try:

Yes ma'm. You are (going to eat this).  I ain't figuring on having happen what happened at that last barbecue when I was too sick from them chittlins I couldn't bring you a tray (of food) before you went. You are going to eat every bite of this.

(Chittlins are some kind of offal food - not very appetising!)

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 11:36:15 am »
Pretty good, Darryl.  I can now imagine you saying that with your Aussie accent.   8)

Here is a clip from the movie of that scene, which was rewritten somewhat from the text in the book:  https://youtu.be/8UJV_Bp5BSY 

This video demonstrates how to deep fry chitlins: https://youtu.be/LSjhbz6Sqvk  which are hog intestines that have been quite thoroughly cleaned.  By the way, sausages and such were made by stuffing the intestines with the meat mixture, tied off and either smoked or cooked fresh.  There are probably still places that make them that way.
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 12:24:07 pm »
Pretty good, Darryl.  I can now imagine you saying that with your Aussie accent.   8)

Ha Ha. Yeah, I reckon those chittlins would be a bit dodgy. Think I'd be feeling crook too. Not on my barby, mate!

Offline xiemengxing

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 01:40:43 pm »
Thank you for your time.

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 05:23:40 pm »
By the way, sausages and such were made by stuffing the intestines with the meat mixture, tied off and either smoked or cooked fresh.  There are probably still places that make them that way.

Yes, we do in Germany.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson