Author Topic: Essays  (Read 6082 times)

Offline Writing Skill

• Written Communication Company
Essays
« on: June 15, 2015, 03:15:19 am »
I'm reading a book called Models for Writers: Short Essays for Composition. There is an essay named The Death of Benny Paret. Paret was a boxer who died in the ring. The essay was written by Norman Mailer.

Quote. Talking about Paret's opponent. "...the right hand whipping like a piston rod which has broken through the crankcase, or like a baseball bat demolishing a pumpkin." Good use of metaphors.
I help people get results with written subject matter.
Click on my link for details regarding my website.
www.writtencommunicationcompany.com

Offline Writing Skill

• Written Communication Company
Re: Essays
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 06:51:04 am »
In that same essay, Mailer said, "As Paret fell to the ground, the sound of Griffith's punches echoed
in the mind like a heavy ax in the distance chopping into a wet log." Another good use of a simile.
I help people get results with written subject matter.
Click on my link for details regarding my website.
www.writtencommunicationcompany.com

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:25:05 pm »
Yes, interesting similes. You wouldn't want to overdo them in a single piece of writing though, would you?  ::)

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 12:44:40 am »
Quote. Talking about Paret's opponent. "...the right hand whipping like a piston rod which has broken through the crankcase, or like a baseball bat demolishing a pumpkin." Good use of metaphors.

I agree that metaphors are like spices that enhance taste of a dish (how's that for a metaphor  ;) ).

However, metaphors don't work in every way.  As a technical person (I'm an engineer),  along with other professionals who are engaged in sciences do find metaphors of little use.  Scientists deal in quantitative aspects of their endeavor unlike journalists.

Don't get me wrong-- I like metaphors and I use them every now and then, but sometimes their overuse can destroy right reasoning. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:57:33 am by urban yokel »