Author Topic: Australia Votes  (Read 12331 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Australia Votes
« on: September 06, 2013, 08:50:51 am »
Well, tomorrow is D Day (or maybe V day) as Australia goes to the polls. I know this would not be news anywhere in the world but Australia. However, I cannot recall a federal election that has been the source of so much caustic comment, so much division and so much fervour as this one.
On Saturday night we will know whether we will return to the 'revolving door' politics of P.M. Kevin Rudd and the Labor Party or the unknown quantity of Mr Abbott and his liberals. Not sure the Greens will have much impact. We have a few wild cards too, and who knows what influence they will have. Billionaire Clive Palmer and the 'man with the hat' Bob Katter, bring some colour to the mix.
My prediction - we will have a new Prime Minister by Saturday night. Tony Abbott with a 20 seat majority in the House of Reps. TV viewing on Saturday night will be interesting to say the least. Some  >:( , some  :'( and some  :). That's politics.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
Re: Australia Votes
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 12:23:33 pm »
I heard a news piece on our public radio station just yesterday about the upcoming election Australia: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=219368053
Bertha

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 03:40:52 pm »
We do know it's happening. Good luck.
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 03:48:29 pm »
The Australian election has been in the news every day this week. I am ashamed to say that I haven't been following it very closely.  :-[
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 01:51:26 am »
Thanks for the comments. Well, I'm off to town to fulfil my democratic obligation and number the boxes. Mr Abbott tonight will be like  ;D

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 06:01:51 pm »
Is that good news?
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 06:31:58 pm »

1. Australia elected a new, majority Coalition government led by Tony Abbott.
    2. Labor was defeated after two terms in office, and the party faced significant swings in several states - the biggest in Tasmania, which recorded a 10% swing.
    3. But several senior Labor players held on against the tide, giving the party a platform from which to rebuild.
    4. Kevin Rudd said he'd saved the furniture - but he would not continue on in the Labor leadership into oppostion.
    5. Abbott forms a majority government in the House of Representatives, but he faces the prospect of mining magnate Clive Palmer on the cross bench in the House of Representatives, and an unwieldy cross bench in the senate.
from http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/07/australian-elections-2013-results-live
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 12:13:13 am »
Is that good news?
Yes, from my point of view. We needed a change from Labor's dysfunctional mess. Tony can do no worse. I think he will rise to the office. With a majority of 15 -20 seats (some still undecided) he has a clear mandate. And that's the last we have seen of Kevin Rudd, who has stepped down from the Labor leadership.
The surprise of the election was the good showing of Clive Palmer's United Party. Perhaps a lot of voters disenchanted with the two major parties. He is ahead in the Qld. seat of Fairfax and looks like he may take it, against all the odds. That will give him only one seat in the 150 seat House of Reps (like the Green party), but it will certainly add interest. His maiden speech will be interesting....

Some insightful interviews at
http://www.news.com.au/national-news/federal-election/clive-palmer-set-to-win-fairfax-in-queensland/story-fnho52ip-1226714306397
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:23:00 am by darryl »

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 12:31:12 am »
And it was not without a bit of drama. How about the impudence of this bloke with a fake media pass who got onto the stage with Mr Abbott and his family during their victory celebration speech. What a drongo!
And Gene, take note. I know you have an eye for the ladies. Mr Abbott's stunning daughters.....
http://www.news.com.au/national-news/federal-election/intruder-upstages-tony-abbott8217s-victory-speech/story-fnho52ip-1226714437735

Gene

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 03:45:40 pm »
Darryl:  I thought the Australian females were tough cowgirl types. These ladies look like sophisticated Park Avenue debutantes. Oz is beautiful country with beautiful girls..............Huzzah!!...............GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 10:01:27 am »
Darryl:  I thought the Australian females were tough cowgirl types. These ladies look like sophisticated Park Avenue debutantes. Oz is beautiful country with beautiful girls..............Huzzah!!...............GG
Gene, you mean like these two? Local singing duo called the Sunny Cowgirls....

Gene

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 03:16:39 pm »
Luscious!!...........................................GG ::)

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 08:22:09 pm »
Is that good news?
Yes, from my point of view. We needed a change from Labor's dysfunctional mess. Tony can do no worse. I think he will rise to the office. With a majority of 15 -20 seats (some still undecided) he has a clear mandate. And that's the last we have seen of Kevin Rudd, who has stepped down from the Labor leadership.
The surprise of the election was the good showing of Clive Palmer's United Party. Perhaps a lot of voters disenchanted with the two major parties. He is ahead in the Qld. seat of Fairfax and looks like he may take it, against all the odds. That will give him only one seat in the 150 seat House of Reps (like the Green party), but it will certainly add interest. His maiden speech will be interesting....

Some insightful interviews at
http://www.news.com.au/national-news/federal-election/clive-palmer-set-to-win-fairfax-in-queensland/story-fnho52ip-1226714306397

With the slump of the mining industry in Australia, I think Australians would have a chance of getting relief from Tony Abbott.

Even with Palmer's minute participation (if he wins)  his strength that is propped-up  by his holdings in the mining industry  would not be enough to avert the  faltering income from mining. Even the Aussie dollar has dropped more than 15% in value since I was in OZ two years ago.

For someone with money market investment that would be a losing proposition.  However, this is not doomsday because with the devalued Australian dollar they can sell their minerals for less but they have to dig for more minerals. I'm worried a bit because I hold some shares in international commodities.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/investigations/why-we-need-to-worry-about-the-real-clive-palmer/story-fn6tcxar-1226710922127

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:31:20 pm by urban yokel »

Gene

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 02:56:30 pm »
This place is dead. Let's light a firecracker.

Darryl:    Do you have any more pics of those pretty Oz cowgirls?.............................GG ::)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 11:12:45 am »
Gene, I do not want to lead you astray, old friend, but there is a wealth of what you seek on Google images. Just type in Sunny Cowgirls!