Author Topic: Dreary  (Read 11116 times)

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
Re: Dreary
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 12:48:31 pm »
Oh dear, yes, I should have used a comma! :-[

And yes, 30C is hot for this part of the world, as Britta said. I am sure Darryl would consider 0C cold, but where I originate from, Niagara Falls, that is a balmy winter's day. Cold is when it gets below -20C.
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 01:09:58 pm »
Cold is when it gets below -20C.
Cold is when it gets below +20C.  ((((( :())))))

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 11:34:17 pm »
First frosts of winter here yesterday and again today. About -2 degreesC on the grass. I like these days - clear skies and approaching 30 degrees by midday. And a good excuse for a log fire at night.

Gene

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 12:34:12 am »
We are currently having a heat wave in Southern California. My air conditioner has been running all day. Thank God the nights are cool. We sleep well.....................................GG

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 07:26:46 am »
We are currently having rain pouring down all day long at 14-18°C   :'(
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 11:52:05 am »
At the moment, we have a "train of storms" moving across central Oklahoma.  Storms stretch for about a hundred miles from northwest to southeast straight across the state. Nothing severe, but a lot of rumbling thunder and lightning flashes. Heavy downpours at times are causing flash floods in some places, too.  Once this system passes, our temps are going up, so by the weekend, we'll be around 100 again.  Yuck.
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 01:52:49 pm »
Gene started off this thread talking about conditions in Southern California. We have good friends who have just returned from a visit there, or at least to Sacramento where they said the temperature was just like being back in Australia. Over 100 degrees on your scale. Bit of a heat wave over there. '' :P ''
They are quite keen on train travel and they visited a locomotive museum place called Old Sacramento, where they bought an 'Iron Horse' T-shirt for me. Very nice too.

Gene

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 03:40:05 pm »
locomotive museum

Along that line.........................if you ever visit Lisbon, you will find a huge musuem down along the water front of antique royal carriages. Imagine the gilded carriage that the Queen usually travels in.............multiplied by a hundred. They are fabulously decorated and dripping with gold fixtures. One forgets that Spain and Portugal had royalty at one time..........................GG

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 05:56:51 am »
locomotive museum
. One forgets that Spain and Portugal had royalty at one time..........................GG

Spain still has a king. Portugal's last monarchy was in 1910. Lisbon (I think) has Burger King.   :D

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 10:48:30 am »
Spain not only has a king, but a new one! Felipe succeeded is father, Juan Carlos, who abdicated.

Back to the topic of weather, this part of the world is suffering from the heat - I say suffering because although temperatures of 30C are common elsewhere, they are not all that normal here in southern England. Most offices and shops have air conditioning after a fashion, but I don't know of anyone whose house is air conditioned. There is no sign of any rain, some forecasters say this heat wave will continue well into August.
Davel,

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 11:27:31 am »
Sounds as if you're having Oklahoma weather, Dave!  I heard from another friend in the Leicester area and they are "suffering" too.  We are in the "dog days" and we've had some pretty hot, humid weather. Thankfully, we'd had some rain off and on, which helps alleviate the drought conditions!  Can you imagine England with brown, crispy grass everywhere? 
Bertha

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 01:47:11 pm »
Hi Bertha, Yes, I can imagine England with brown crispy grass, as that is what some of mine looks like, even with only a couple weeks without any decent rain. We are off to Austria on Saturday for a week's holiday. The weather there looks to be a mix of rain and sun, with cooler temperatures than we are having here (21 - 24C / 70 - 76F). We are hoping our friends who will look after the place whilst we are away will have the patience to water everything that needs watering! Our two cats (14 years old a few weeks back) don't like the heat very much, either.
Davel,

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 11:39:43 pm »
Well we have some brown crispy grass too right now, not because of lack of water but because of frost. I like frosty mornings though, because the sky is always clear and you get warm days. It can be 2 or 3 degrees below on sunrise and 30 degrees by lunch. Quite a range of temps.
At my workplace we have been gettng a lot of Swedish, Swiss, Danish and German visitors lately. They don't feel the cold mornings and say it is too hot to be winter.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 07:29:10 am »
My daughter is back from Kuwait and finds 28 about acceptable!
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 12:36:06 pm »
What a range of temperatures Darryl described!

Here in England, the month of August is now on track to be the wettest and coldest August in many years. Hurricane Bertha came through and did some damage, then stalled over Scandinavia and pumped cold air down on us! The latest forecast is for Hurricane Cristobal to pass to the north and to fuel warm air up from the Continent. So, we may have one last gasp of warm summer air...
Davel,