Author Topic: Dreary  (Read 11135 times)

Gene

Dreary
« on: May 25, 2014, 03:32:18 pm »
Very dreary  and overcast in Southern California this morning. What's it like at your place?.............GG :(

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: Dreary
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 11:49:25 pm »
Clear and sunny but with a cool nip in the air this morning. About 15 degrees but will rise to about 27 - 28 later in the day. Quite pleasant really. Typical winter weather for us. Glad to see the end of the drizzly spell we've had the past two weeks or so.
Judy is in Portsmouth, UK., today and will leave from Heathrow tomorrow to come home. She says the weather there is cold but fine.
At least with dreary weather there, Gene, your bushfire risk would be lowered.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 01:58:24 am »
Here in OK, we've been having rain showers off and on for the last couple of days and more to come the next few days.  It brightens up and gets warm but then more rain clouds appear!  I do not complain about rain here, since we are still in drought conditions, and some parts of the state and the Panhandle of TX are in extreme drought. When whole lakes dry up, it's bad!
Bertha

Gene

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 02:35:38 am »
Darryl:

Is Judy flying directly from Heathrow to Oz?  If so that must be a ghastly long flight. The longest I ever took was from LA to Tokyo. Took about 12/13 hours................................GG

P.S.  On a different topic..........A neighbor lady of mine had a nine pount baby boy two days ago. They are of Danish extraction. Named him "Rasmus." Funny name for a kid.........................gg

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 12:21:50 pm »
Gene, I think Judy is flying back with a short stopover in Hong Kong. Still, I think it's about 12 hours to Hong Kong and then she has another long flight to Brisbane and then a two hour flight back up to Cairns, where she arrives Wednesday afternoon. Then we have a two hour drive home.
Yes, Rasmus is an odd name for a kid. Sounds more like a dog ... or is that Rastus?

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 04:46:26 pm »
Yes, Rasmus is an odd name for a kid. Sounds more like a dog ... or is that Rastus?

FYI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasmus_(given_name)  8)
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Gene

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 11:51:33 pm »
Britta:

You are getting as smart as Bertha...............................GG :-*

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:07:27 pm »
Britta:

You are getting as smart as Bertha...............................GG :-*

I would say that Britta is probably smarter than I.                         
Bertha

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 03:24:44 pm »
Oh, come on, Bertha!
 ::)

I just looked it up because I thought it was quite a normal name (from a European perspective). I remember a funny story about names from my time in the UK.
We had a new student in our group. His name was Ralph - a perfectly normal name from my German perspective. I was talking to my colleague, Clive, about this new student and I said: "I don't know if he's British or German." And Clive replied: "Oh, he's definitively German. In this country Ralph is a dog's name."
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 01:18:00 pm »
Sorry I haven't been around much, I've been very, very busy, and June looks to continue to be so.

Weather: I was in Russia for six days (24- 29 May). The first few days were baking hot - I saw a time/temperature sign reading 30C at 11.15am in Moscow. The next day was almost as hot as my wife and I travelled to a small town called Kimry, about 150 miles north of Moscow, where we spent the rest of our stay with our local (Eastleigh) town twinning association. We visited several schools, factories, a sturgeon farm, a church that has a special programme to help drug addicts come clean, local museums, a village community centre, a sports centre, ice hockey arena. We went boating on the Volga River. It was a fabulous experience, and we can't wait to go again. Oh, back to the weather: it changed and we had several very heavy downpours and the last couple days were cooler temperatures.

Rasmsus: I am guessing the surname Rasmusson follows what I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is a Scandinavian tradition (not sure if it is always) of naming your child as yourname+son (or +daughter).

I cannot promise when I will next post in this forum: we have a dozen visitors arriving from France for the weekend to celebrate the 50th anniversary of town twinning between Eastleigh and Villeneuve-St-Georges (near Paris).

Cheers!
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 02:11:08 pm »

Weather: I was in Russia for six days (24- 29 May). The first few days were baking hot - I saw a time/temperature sign reading 30C at 11.15am in Moscow.
We went boating on the Volga River.

Hmmm. 30 degrees ain't hot, Dave.
Isn't there a song something about The Volga Boatman??

Offline t k

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 02:45:40 pm »
The next day was almost as hot as my wife and I travelled to ...

Hmmm...  Interesting expression.  --- tk

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 03:29:04 pm »

That would be 37°C, right?

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 03:31:34 pm »
Hmmm. 30 degrees ain't hot, Dave.

30°C is hot for people from this part of the world, Darryl!

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 11:28:47 pm »

Nice one, tk. I'm not big on comma usage but it seems that sometimes they are necessary!!  :)