Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 19153 times)

Bullit

Re: Introduction
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 09:30:58 am »
I like new cars -- the newer the better.

New cars would be better but old cars should have much more charme and you can repair it himself ... if you can  ;)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 12:21:19 pm »
Hello Darryl,

I´m afraid, I can´t tell anything about the vehicle. I found it in a parc at Lydbury last week together with some other old cars.

Ah! The low camera angle and the distortion gives the impression of a much bigger vehicle than the Morris Minor 1000. I'm surprised that no-one has grabbed it for a restoration project, especially since it appears to be an ex-police unit. Anyway, an interesting camera subject.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 12:43:17 pm »

@Darryl
You cracked me up for STILL not knowing whether I am from the north or the south.  After all these years!  The fact is, I have never been to the southern hemisphere even for a visit.  You are safe with your uniqueness!   :D

So, JTL, we are to assume that you live north of the equator. My guess is you are in Sarawak (or perhaps Sabah?), or Brunei perhaps. It looks like the southern part of Malaysian Borneo is only a hop step and jump away (well, a couple of hundred kilometres) from the equator, so I am surprised that you have never ventured to the southern hemisphere.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 12:44:51 pm »
Welcome here Gunter!

I'm surprised that no-one has grabbed it for a restoration project,
The owner just buys and buys prospective restoration projects. They just never get done ;)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 02:26:47 pm »
Hello again JTL - My last name causes many, many problems! Many people spell it incorrectly - it actually has an "s" at the end, but so many people forget to add the "s" that one of my uncles had his name legally changed to remove the "s". But my name has it. A German colleague used to pronounce both "L"s so it sounded like L-Loyds. Many people think that it is a Welsh name, as the Welsh language has many words that start with two occurrences of the letter "L". That is what I had thought, too, but in doing family research, I discovered that that is not true for my name: my father's family comes from Kent, the county in SE England, and the spelling of the name has changed over the centuries. It orginally was Leeds or Lydes but became Lloydes (with "es" at the end) and my great-grandfather took out the "e". End of my story!
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Gene

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 04:19:47 pm »
Darryl:

As a person interested in vintage vehicles

Why don't you show us that beauty that you restored. I thought it lwas really elegant.............................GG

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 05:41:04 pm »
After seeing Gunter's last post, I really wonder WHY westerners always like old things?  I like new cars -- the newer the better.

We like to look at them, not HAVE them. The point is: we see shiny new cars on the street every day. These old cars are oddities and therefore much more interesting.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 10:59:25 pm »
Darryl:

As a person interested in vintage vehicles

Why don't you show us that beauty that you restored. I thought it lwas really elegant.............................GG

I think my old Chev has graced these pages before, but here is a more recent shot taken last month. The lady in the passenger seat is holding the iconic Melbourne Cup, solid gold - $175 000 worth! A nice honour for a 1927 Chevrolet.

Gene

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 12:09:50 am »
Darryl:

Being a money grubber, I am curious about that $175K Melbourne cup. Was that your prize for winning the contest........or do you just have the honor of holding it for awhile?.................................GG

P.S.  If the $175K is yours to keep, I am currently investing in a gold mine in Arizona.........you might be interested......................GG ;D

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 01:00:25 pm »
Darryl:

Being a money grubber, I am curious about that $175K Melbourne cup. Was that your prize for winning the contest........or do you just have the honor of holding it for awhile?.................................GG

P.S.  If the $175K is yours to keep, I am currently investing in a gold mine in Arizona.........you might be interested......................GG ;D

I wish!! No, we only had the honour of carrying it in a procession across the suspension bridge you can see behind. The Melbourne Cup (sponsored by Emirates) does an annual tour of Australia and New Zealand. Small communities are encouraged to apply for it to visit their town. It helps if the community has some strong (in our case historical) connection with the horse-racing industry and also that the funds raised from the attraction benefit a community charity.
The tour is explained here:
http://melbournecup.com/racing/melbourne-cup-tour/

Offline JTL

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 10:06:11 am »
So, JTL, we are to assume that you live north of the equator. My guess is you are in Sarawak (or perhaps Sabah?), or Brunei perhaps. It looks like the southern part of Malaysian Borneo is only a hop step and jump away (well, a couple of hundred kilometres) from the equator, so I am surprised that you have never ventured to the southern hemisphere.

I live in Sabah, so I am quite "far" from the equator.  The place you thought I should have ventured to is Kalimantan (belonging to Indonesia) and in my imagination that is as frightening a place as the Amazon.  I read that there are carnivorous plants, and former head-hunting tribes.  Shudder, I won't go there!

BTW, Brunei is another country.  It is a small wealthy country whose citizens don't have to pay income tax.  Some time ago Gene said that he thought I didn't have to pay income tax.  He must have heard that about Brunei. 

JTL

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 12:53:26 pm »
A Sabahan! Thanks for the clarification, JTL. I now understand why you have not been south of the 'line'.
I'm not sure which district of Sabah you are from, but it's interesting to note that Australia's Finance Minister, Penny Wong, was born in Kota Kinabalu in 1968, and moved to Australia at age 5.

Gene

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 10:58:29 pm »
Darryl and JTL:

After reading your conversations about exotic people and places, I couldn't help but post a note about a computer technician who came to my home today to solve a technical problem for me.  Would you believe he is from Kurdistan. Came to the States at the age of 5, attended public schools. Mother and father don't speak a word of English. This guy is so smart he frightens me. He has the ability to mentally crawl into a computer's brain and solve the problem. We need more Kurds like him...........................GG

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 03:07:53 pm »
My son is in Brunei at the moment. They don't have pavements apparently. Petrol is so cheap that you drive next door!
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Gene

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 03:41:24 pm »
Duncan:

Since he is in Brunei, he is close to JTL. Perhaps he can have tea with her and check her out for us????............................GG ;)