Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 19131 times)

Bullit

Introduction
« on: August 27, 2013, 11:17:17 pm »
Hello friends,

First, I couldn´t find a rubric for introducing myself. I hope it´s allowed to do that in this way. I´m Günter from Germany, 52 years old and unfortunatly not so safe in english speaking :(. Last week I visited Lydbury and stayed for 1 week in the school of Rita and Duncan. I´m very glad and happy that I could meet these two very kindly people  :D. Thanks for everything from here again.

I´m going to learn more and better english. This is the plan. I hope to get more practice here in your forum and help for my questions of course.

Also I would like bringing posts and threads for your entertainment if you are interested. I have some hobbies like cicling, I´m interested in mechanical watches, travelling (mostly Italy :-)). I like the italian way of life.

Ok, that should be all for tonight and see you again.

PS: Sorry for my mistakes  ::)

Günter
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:41:04 pm by Bullit »

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 12:01:40 am »
Gunter,
Welcome to the forum. I know you would have enjoyed your stay at Lydbury. My wife and I have also enjoyed the hospitality and company of Duncan and Rita.
And here on the forum we are all happy to help you in your quest for better mastery of English. Questions welcome.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:31:59 am »
Welcome to the Lydbury Language Forum, Gunter!  We are all here to help, so post your questions and also your other interesting items. 

Bertha
Bertha

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:17:32 am »
Hello Günter!

I have also met Duncan and Rita at Lydbury so know you will have had a great time there. I was born in the USA but have been living in England for 16 years (I am 55).

Don't worry about making mistakes in English - we all do that. We are here to help one another, and often have long "discussions" about different ways of saying something. This includes the differences between the English spoken in Britain, the USA, Australia, Canada, etc. I hope you don't mind if we make corrections to help you. I can speak a little German and one German friend said I speak enough to get what I want, but I know I make many mistakes in grammar (der / die / das / den / dem is just one example!).

Welcome!

David
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Offline JTL

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:33:39 am »
Welcome Gunter! 

As of today, members of this Cafe:
Germany 2
USA 2.5
UK 2.5
The East 3

JTL

Offline JTL

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:36:03 am »
Oh my, I thought David was a different person from Davel.  My figures were wrong then.  The East still dominates though.  ;D

JTL.

Bullit

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 09:47:38 am »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I don´t mind if you will make corrections. That´s the sense why I am here.

@David: ... and the most Germans have problems with our grammar .... e.g. "das" and "dass" use the most people wrong :-). So don´t be worry about some wrong articles :-). I will make much more mistakes in grammar and word order at the first time. But I have a great motivation to learn more.

@JTL: Do you have half people here?  ;)

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 12:15:14 pm »
Welcome Gunter! 

As of today, members of this Cafe:
Germany 2
USA 2.5
UK 2.5
The East 3

JTL

I'm not sure how you are counting, JTL.  Am I a .5?
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 01:41:55 pm »

I'm not sure how you are counting, JTL.  Am I a .5?

Bertha, I don't think anyone would class you as .5! You are 100% U.S.A!
No, I think JTL's reckoning includes Davel as the .5 in each, since he has connections to both U.S. and U.K.
And she's including me in the East, which I guess is geographically correct. Or maybe I should be south, as the only representative in the southern hemisphere.
(But then, I don't think we ever determined which side of the equator JTL is on. She might have a foot in each camp!)

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 03:54:58 pm »
Hi Everyone

JTL - sorry for the confusion: David and davel are one and the same - ME! My surname is Lloyds (begins with L) so long ago when I lived in the USA and needed an ID for a new application, I came up with "davel" = Dave (short for David) and L (the first letter of my last name). It was meant to be pronounced to rhyme with gavel or gravel, not to rhyme with navel !!! (Since it is my name, I can decide how to pronounce it!  ;D ) Legally, I am both UK and US as I have two passports.

Günter - Never hesitate to ask a question, even we ask questions of each other sometimes.
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 11:14:46 pm »
Gunter,
Perhaps you could tell us the significance of your avatar. As a person interested in vintage vehicles, I would like to know about the truck. I tried enlarging it but it was pixelated. Looks like an old Ford or Chev, but perhaps it's a German make?? Is it yours?

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 07:43:51 am »
Wow! I haven't been looking for just one day and already I need to scroll and scroll...  8)

Hi Günter, welcome to the Lydbury forum. Apparently I'm the only person who has NOT been to Lydbury yet.
Where in Germany do you live? I'm from the Frankfurt area myself, pretty much in the middle of the Germany I gew up in  ;)  and rather much in the west of the Germany we know today.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Bullit

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 08:42:02 am »
Hello Darryl,

I´m afraid, I can´t tell anything about the vehicle. I found it in a parc at Lydbury last week together with some other old cars.

Another passion of me is taking photos and during a walk through this parc I found the car and took a picture. That´s all. I just liked this szene. The old vehicle with these different weathered colors in front of the red wall. It looked just beautiful.

Alltogether I like old cars very much, but I don´t have one. Maybe you can see more at these pictures.

The photos would have taken with IPhone and therefore the quality isnt the best.

If it´s possible and allowed I could show more pictures of cars in the mercedes museum. And if you´re interested of course.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:43:51 am by Bullit »

Bullit

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 08:49:35 am »
Hi Britta,

oh, you live in Frankfurt. Then we are neighbours  :). I live near Würzburg. The small pretty City is called Tauberbischofsheim. It´s not so far away from Frankfurt ... 1 to 1,5 hours.

Offline JTL

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 09:20:16 am »
@Davel
Thank you for the clarification on your name, Mr David Lloyd. 
Without consulting the dictionary, I wouldn’t dare to pronounce your surname in public.  But now I have listened to an online dictionary, and know that it is just like Loyd – no need to give the L a tremolo effect.   ;D

@Darryl
You cracked me up for STILL not knowing whether I am from the north or the south.  After all these years!  The fact is, I have never been to the southern hemisphere even for a visit.  You are safe with your uniqueness!   :D

After seeing Gunter's last post, I really wonder WHY westerners always like old things?  I like new cars -- the newer the better.