Author Topic: New discovery  (Read 10772 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
Re: New discovery
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 01:15:57 pm »
Gene - if you almost forgot was it not so memorable after all or is father time working on your memory?  ???
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Gene

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 02:41:30 pm »
Darryl:

The event was yakka and afterwards I was zonked……………………..GG ;D

Duncan:

My raging hormones are now only memories………..……….GG ;)

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 06:57:51 pm »
 :'(
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Gene

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2014, 03:38:38 pm »
Final morsel

During WWII my ship did anti-submarine patrol in the North Atlantic. Several times we pulled into Reyjkavik, Iceland.  Another sailor and I went ashore for a nice steak dinner. Along the waterfront there was one neat looking restaurant. The only meat item on the menu was “Pony Steak.” Of course, that’s what we ordered. It came in a brown gravy with mushrooms and onions. It was heavenly to eat after months of navy chow which consisted largely of beans and cabbage.

I could never find horsemeat to eat any place in the U.S.

Have any of you ever eaten horse?................nostalgically………............GG. :'(

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2014, 04:10:33 pm »
Well - there has been a fairly recent scandal in the UK where beefburgers were found to contain horse meat. The complaint was not so much that it was horse, but that the burgers has been missold.  I have eaten horse in France; I liked it but found it a little sweet.
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2014, 11:30:27 pm »
Final morsel

Have any of you ever eaten horse?................nostalgically………............GG. :'(

I haven't had the opportunity. (Not knowingly anyway.) Would be OK I guess.
Princess Anne likes it.

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 03:23:49 pm »
:'(

Yes, I have had horse several times, in France and in Switzerland. I wouldn't say that it is common there, but it is not unusual. To me, it tasted similar to a beef steak, but a bit tougher.

I sometimes say: "if God put it on this earth, it was meant for me to eat." (OK, within reason...)
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 09:58:24 am »
I remember many years ago having ox-tail soup for dinner, prepared by my mother-in-law to be. To be polite, I commented that it was very nice, when in fact I thought it pretty ordinary. For years afterwards she would make ox-tail soup, believing it to be my favourite.
I can imagine that  ;D
By the way, oxtail is no offal, it's just an ordinary piece of meat, although there is not much flesh on it - what's probably the reason why you use it to cook soup. It does taste pretty ordinary unless you season it less ordinary. In Italian restaurants you can order oxtail as a full meal (casserole type) but that results in a lot of work for rather little meat.

Gene, I don't know where you tried kangaroo meat - maybe it wasn't well prepared. I had kangaroo steak in Birdsville once and it was OK. It makes a good casserole, and kangaroo tail soup is acceptable. Kangaroos are clean, vegetarian creatures - I would not go near crocodile meat after seeing what they eat.
Apparently kangaroo can be rather cheap meat, we had it in the college canteen from time to time. I liked it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:00:33 am by Britta »
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†