Author Topic: New discovery  (Read 10749 times)

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
Re: New discovery
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 02:38:52 pm »
I like liver when it's well prepared (mustn't cook it too short or too long). We serve it with fried onion rings, fried apple rings and mashed potatoes in Germany. Ox-tail soup is a classic in Germany (and I do like it). I've eaten steak and kidney pie in the UK, it's ok but I wouldn't miss it. Haven't eaten stuffed heart or ox-tongue yet but I quite like fried chicken hearts - so do my cats, by the way.  ;D

Oh, by the way: Fried kidney cubes on a stick is a famous fun fair treat in this part of Germany (Hesse).

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:46:21 pm by Britta »
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 02:41:06 pm »
Ah - steak and kidney pudding is so very different from steak and kidney pie.
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 02:48:43 pm »
Ah - steak and kidney pudding is so very different from steak and kidney pie.
Well. I've looked up a few images. As far as I can tell a steak and kidney pudding looks just like a steak and kidney pie turned upside-down  :P
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Gene

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 03:05:36 pm »
Duncan:   Your list looks great with the exception of kidneys. I had them once many years ago. They had a funny brine-like taste which I found yukky. Otherwise, you are riding high……………..GG

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 04:04:52 pm »
I used to claim that I would eat almost anything, but in recent months that is no longer true. I had oysters for the very first time last year in France, and felt unwell a couple days after. So they are on my "no list". I am not fond of offal, but will eat kidney in steak-and-kidney pie, and I love haggis and black pudding, but of course, they are too rich (if that is the right word) to be eaten in huge quantities.

When I was in Japan 20-odd years ago, my Japanese friend with a wicked sense of humour would order the most bizarre things on the menu for me to try: raw horse, a live fish (it was serrated and you picked pieces off it with your chop-sticks, yes, I felt sorry for it, but I had to try it once), whale, many different vegetables including chrysanthemums. I ate many types of seafood, and love sushi and sashimi, although I am not very fond of octopus or squid.

I love cheese, including "mouldy" cheese such as Stilton. I love spiced meats such as wurst and chorizo.

I also love typical food from the "Anglo" world, if I may use that expession, such as steak, hamburgers, fried chicken and fish and chips. Whilst I could never be a vegetarian, I do love vegetables, too.

A couple years ago, our local supermarket was selling kangaroo meat in some sort of promotion - there was someone dressed up in a kangaroo costume outside. I didn't buy any, though.
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Gene

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 07:05:51 pm »
Davel:

You touched my heart when you mentioned chorizo. Living in Southern California, which has a large Hispanic population, chorizo is found everywhere. I especially love chorizo and eggs for breakfast. Talk about a zing......wow!!!!

As for kangaroo, pass on it. I ate it in Oz some years ago. It looked beautiful but tasted terrible....same for crocodile.............GG

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 11:25:05 pm »
Has anyone eaten buffalo?  Buffalo (bison) steaks and burgers are somewhat popular here in OK.  There was a recent tv piece on the news about a local ranch owned by the Cheyene-Arapaho Indian tribe, who hold the buffalo in high regard and once used all parts of it for survival.  The hides were used for robes, etc. and the meat was eaten.  The horns were used for dippers and other utensils.
Bertha

Gene

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 12:16:30 am »
Bertha:

I read once about some people, I believe in Texas, who ate rattlesnake. That doesn't sound too appealing to me.......................................GG

Offline t k

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 03:37:11 am »
Gene ---  In 1994, long before I decided not to have any meat other than seafood, I had rattlesnake fries.  Unfortunately they had too thick crusts to sense the unique flavor of the meat, or I might have tasted the meat only without much success.  It was near Phoenix AZ.  --- tk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 10:42:11 am »
How are you guys with liver and bacon, or sautéed kidneys, or stuffed heart? Then there is ox tongue, oxtail soup and steak and kidney pudding.

Wow, quite a discisson following Duncan's post.
Well,
liver and bacon - OK without the liver.
Sautaeed kidneys - no
Stuffed haert - no
Ox-tongue - perhaps but not on the favourites list
Ox-tail - Fair to middling
Steak and Kidney pudding - leave out the kidney and all good.

I remember many years ago having ox-tail soup for dinner, prepared by my mother-in-law to be. To be polite, I commented that it was very nice, when in fact I thought it pretty ordinary. For years afterwards she would make ox-tail soup, believing it to be my favourite.

Davel mentioned some real doozies there. I cannot imagine eating live fish - I don't eat fish much anyway, but certainly not live. That might be Japanese culture but it's barbaric.

Bertha tried buffalo, but no I haven't had the opportunity. I believe it would be pretty reasonable though. We were in New Zealand once and tried venison. OK but nothing special. I remember the waiter saying, 'You're Australian and you want to try venison. It's not as good as your best hereford steaks'. He was right.

Britta, not too sure about the kidney cubes. Now if they were cubes of fillet steak, that would be the go.

Gene, I don't know where you tried kangaroo meat - maybe it wasn't well prepared. I had kangaroo steak in Birdsville once and it was OK. It makes a good casserole, and kangaroo tail soup is acceptable. Kangaroos are clean, vegetarian creatures - I would not go near crocodile meat after seeing what they eat.

As I said at the outset, simple is best for me. I can smell a lamb roast cooking in the oven right now. A bit of an Easter tradition with us.

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 07:31:54 pm »
I've got venison on the go right now!
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 11:28:44 pm »
I've got venison on the go right now!

Oh, deer!  ;)

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 10:57:22 am »
 ::)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Gene

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 01:47:17 am »
I almost forgot......................about three weeks ago, a lady from my senior's club came over and together we made a Chicken Fettucccine with Alfredo Sauce dinner. She did all the cooking, I merely assisted her.

To jazz things up a bit, I placed candles on the table, turned the lights low............and had romantic music coming from my CD player. The dinner went along splendidly..............and.......

I'll let your wicked imaginations determine what happened next.

All in all we had a marvelous evening together. Not bad for a couple of octogenarian seniors, eh???.............GG ;D

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 12:18:17 pm »
Gene,
I have agonised over a reply to your last posting. Judy has offered some suggestions, but suffice to say ...  Good onya, mate. (Australian expression! Google it!)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:20:48 pm by Darryl »