Author Topic: New discovery  (Read 11239 times)

Gene

New discovery
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:37:04 am »
For quite some time, I have been eating a turkey sandwich for lunch. Yesterday at my local deli, I noticed a “Jalapeno” sandwich loaf. The pink meat was interlaced with small pieces of jalapeno pepper. I purchased a pound and today made a sandwich of it. Between two slices of whole wheat toast, I stuck a couple slices of the jalapeno loaf. I smeared a thin layer of horseradish cream sauce on the toast. The horseradish was mild and white like mayo. I also had several sour pickles.

After eating lackluster white turkey for several months, this new creation had a real “zing” to it. At the deli I noticed they also have an olive loaf which I will try next time.

What exotic things have you folks been eating recently? I envy Britta. Germany is famous for its wurst……………………………….GG 

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
Re: New discovery
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:55:11 am »
Well, yes. Wurst is something I missed most during my times in the UK and in France, even though I don't eat it too often. We have a variety of Wurst at home at all times. Oh, just in case: we're not talking about "sausages" here  :D 
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline t k

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:25:59 am »
Gene ---  I am into cooking since last year, and internet searches give me innumerable recipes on which to play variations and improvisations. Many ingredients are not available here, or I don't want to buy a container of something most of which I might decide not to use, so variations and improvisations are necessary. My imagination is the limit of how exotic I can go. I have tried different combinations of seasonings with different vegetables and fish, being a pescetarian. Your new sandwich seems to be a trial in the same direction. Good luck.  --- tk

Gene

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 03:53:21 pm »
tk:

Thank you for your encouragement. I shall continue my explorations in the sandwich field.

Britta:  Your picture looks absolutely divine. I only wish I had access to all those wursts here in the States. I am limited to just a few. By the way, what is that ugly dark red wurst shown toward the bottom?............................GG

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 04:14:46 pm »
By the way, what is that ugly dark red wurst shown toward the bottom?............................GG

That's your beloved black pudding, Gene  ;D
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Gene

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 04:59:22 pm »
Looks like something one would normally find in the barnyard..............ugh!!!!!.....................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 11:49:13 pm »
Looks like something one would normally find in the barnyard..............ugh!!!!!.....................GG

I would say the same for all of those things, Gene. To my plain old palate they are just the 'wurst'.
Many people would say I am boring; I just don't go for that sort of exotic stuff. I wouldn't go past a nice scotch fillet, porterhouse or eye fillet steak with a side of properly cooked spring vegetables.
I have great problems at those fancy functions where they bring out platters of mouldy cheeses and hors d'oeuvres with spicy salamis and slimy oysters and other revolting things. I always feel like asking for a ham sandwich.
I am not adventurous with food. Plain and simple is good enough for me.

Gene

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 02:27:28 am »
Darryl:

We still love you anyway...............................GG

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 07:21:43 am »
I would say the same for all of those things, Gene. To my plain old palate they are just the 'wurst'.
Many people would say I am boring; I just don't go for that sort of exotic stuff.

Well, the point is: for me, this isn't "exotic stuff", it's what I grew up with.  ;D

But I can understand your feelings. I'm not much of an exotic eater either. When Gene said "this new creation had a real 'zing' to it" in his original post I thought: I don't need 'zings' in MY food. On the other hand we probably have a much larger variety of food we accept here in the middle of Europe where so many cultures are just a few hours driving away.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 12:04:47 pm »
Black pudding is fantastic. Grilled with tomatoes. Yum!
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Gene

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 03:04:22 pm »
Out of respect for my elders, I shall remain silent :P.........................................GG

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 06:27:50 pm »
 :-*
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 11:21:28 pm »
 :-X  Me too  :-X

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 12:16:28 pm »
How are you guys with liver and bacon, or sautéed kidneys, or stuffed heart? Then there is ox tongue, oxtail soup and steak and kidney pudding.
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 01:10:59 pm »
How are you guys with liver and bacon, or sautéed kidneys, or stuffed heart? Then there is ox tongue, oxtail soup and steak and kidney pudding.

I really like liver and bacon, ox tongue, and oxtail soup.  I've never had sauteed kidneys, stuffed heart or steak and kidney pudding.  My mom used to cook liver and tongue, and I've made oxtail soup sometimes. 
Bertha