Author Topic: What fruits have you eaten lately?  (Read 14033 times)

Offline JTL

What fruits have you eaten lately?
« on: August 22, 2013, 03:09:38 am »
In the past couple of months I have eaten these fruits:
Fuji apples
Navel oranges
Pineapple
Watermelon
Honey dew
Rambutan
Durian
Tarap
Sapodilla

You won't likely know what is Tarap, so here is a picture of it (found on the internet, so that hairy hand isn't mine  ;D)

Might as well, a Sapodilla pic:

The sapodilla was the sweetest among them all. 

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: What fruits have you eaten lately?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 08:48:36 am »
An interesting array of fruits there, JTL. That tarap thing looks a lot like what we call jackfruit.
We are possibly a little less adventurous in our choice of fruits to enjoy with our morning yoghurt (Greek style of course - I like the sharpness.)
This morning was sliced pear, banana (lady finger), kiwi fruit, plum (tinned), blueberries, strawberries, pawpaw (picked this morning off our trees), lemon zest (our tree), passion fruit (ours), and some mango (tinned because it's out of season). I top it with almonds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.
The lorikeets get the pawpaw skins and I enjoy watching them as they squabble while I have breakfast. Not a bad way to start the day.  :P
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:51:18 am by darryl »

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 09:28:14 am »
JTL: I had to look up the Durian as well. I've never eaten the last 3 on your list. I don't think they are easy to get in my pert of the world. We do get rambutan and all sorts of melons, though.

Darryl: I love pawpaws! Unfortunately we don't often get ripe ones here. They look OK but they are either bitter or taste like nothing at all.

Where I live, people grow mainly cherries (just out of season now) and grapes (season just starting but the grapes are mainly used to produce some of the best Riesling wine in the world). There are apples and pears, of course. We have an apple tree but it is very old and doesn't produce much fruit. It's a very late apple (Booskop) that is ripe only when the leaves are already gone, some time in late October, early November right before the first frost. It is also rather sour and instantly gets brown when cut it, but it makes a very good baking apple.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 09:30:52 am by Britta »
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 07:21:20 pm »
In the past couple of months I have eaten these fruits:
Durian
The sapodilla was the sweetest among them all.

I  spent a short work stint  in Thailand after college and the first thing I noticed while strolling in the  neighborhood,  a very strong smell that I haven't experienced before. It was obvious that locals are used to it that no one made mentioned at all. After a few days, I came to find out that it was  the smell of durian that was wafting all throughout the  entire neighborhood.

As soon as  I came back home (US) I mentioned the whole experience to my friends.  That's when I heard different  comments on what durian really smells like. . . that is, from a decomposing flesh, rotten egg to dog poo.

Although I haven't had a chance to taste it, I have to admit that the smell is not appetizing for a newbie.  Natives say that it tastes really good.  For someone who has a very sensitive  smell, it would really take some time in getting used to.  It didn't really bother me that much...but then, my olfactory perception may not be in top shape.   8)

Sapodilla is called sapote here. Yes it's really sweet.

Offline JTL

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:58:04 am »
Darryl beats me flat on fruit eating, but I forgot that I have also eaten avocado, papaya, banana and mango.  Also, a few cherries from Spain, and some lychees from China.  And, if dried fruit is counted, I have eaten Goji berries in chicken soup.  Westerners wouldn't know what Goji berries are.

Durian -- texture is like molten cheese, taste is like sweet wine (bitter sweet).  Some of our children don't like it either, and we adults are happy when our children don't like it.

Britta, what do you bake with your apples?  Is it apple pies?  I often buy apples only to find that I don't like eating them (if they are not sweet), and I wonder if I could use them in cooking, for example, to make soup. 

JTL

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 12:07:00 pm »
We eat Goji berries  8)

Stewed apples and custard  ;D
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 03:05:57 pm »
Britta, what do you bake with your apples?  Is it apple pies?  I often buy apples only to find that I don't like eating them (if they are not sweet), and I wonder if I could use them in cooking, for example, to make soup.

You can do a lot with apples. Pies, I think are rather a Frensh thing although I have a very nice recipe that I occasionally use. A German apple cake rather looks like this

But what I really meant was "Bratapfel" (baked/roast apple):

If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 11:00:31 pm »
Westerners wouldn't know what Goji berries are.

JTL

Yep. This westerner (or am I a far far easterner??) has never heard of Goji berries. Apples are a bit of a hit and miss affair here. Some, like Red Delicious are not delicious at all. Royal Gala and Pink Lady aren't too bad. I think a lot depends on how long they have been in cold storage. The best I have come across are Jazz apples - a New Zealand cultivar. Don't know if you get them in the northern half.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 12:09:45 am »
I like Fuji and Gala apples.  I have seen Jazz apples at our stores here in Oklahoma, too!
Bertha

Offline t k

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 05:44:40 am »
You can do a lot with apples. Pies, I think are rather a Frensh thing although I have a very nice recipe that I occasionally use. A German apple cake rather looks like this

But what I really meant was "Bratapfel" (baked/roast apple):

Britta ---  Those look really, really good.  I'd appreciate if you would share good recipes for those.  Thanks.  --- tk

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 07:30:56 am »
Cox's Orange Pippins, Granny Smith, Russets, Beauty of Bath and, of course, Bramleys for cooking.
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 11:36:43 pm »
Darryl: I love pawpaws! Unfortunately we don't often get ripe ones here. They look OK but they are either bitter or taste like nothing at all.

Yes, I agree. Paw paw taste is nothing to get excited about. A bit like smelly old socks I reckon. I don't think I would bother buying them, but since they grow rampant on my place we include them in the mix. However, they are supposed to be very good for you. There is a thriving business in paw paw leaf extract which some believe is something of a panacea and even a cancer cure.

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 06:40:48 pm »
Britta ---  Those look really, really good.  I'd appreciate if you would share good recipes for those.  Thanks.  --- tk

Hi TK

I've tried to translate the recipes. Unfortunately I'm not too firm in kitchen jargon these days but I hope you can understand.

German Apple Cake

125 g butter (room temperature)
125 g sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
pinch of salt
3 eggs
200 g wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons milk
1 kg baking apples

Peel apples, take out the middle and cut into quarters.
Cut the back sides of the apple quarters lengthwise.

Whip the soft butter with sugar until fluffy
Add salt, vanilla sugar and lemon zest
Add the eggs, one at a time, whip at least 30 sec per egg
Mix baking powder and flour,
Add half of the mix and stir briefly
Add milk and stir briefly.
Add the second half of the flour mix and stir until smooth.

Do not stir for too long but make sure it's not lumpy.
Fill the mixture into a round baking pan and place the apple quarters on top in a nice pattern.

Bake at 180°C for about 45 min.
Here's the German recipe: http://www.oetker.de/rezepte/r/apfelkuchen-sehr-fein.html

Bratapfel

You need baking apples (they must keep their form when baked and should not be too sweet and not too juicy).

Cut/punch out the middle while keeping the apple intact. We use a special too for it:

Fill the apple to your taste (nuts, raisins, almond paste, sugar cubes, honey...). It can have the filling spilling out at the top, there's not much room anyway.
It is a good idea to wedge something in at the bottom, e.g. an almond, a nut or a big raisin to prevent the filling from falling out when serving.

Place the apples in a buttered dish and put them in the oven for about 30 minues at 200°C.
Serve directly after cooking and eat hot. (Take care because the apples are much hotter inside than outside!)

Here is an instruction sheet for kids with pictures:
http://www.labbe.de/zzzebra/index.asp?themaid=383&titelid=878
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:44:00 pm by Britta »

Offline t k

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 05:11:48 am »
Thanks, Britta, for the recipes.  My mouth is already watering.  --- tk

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 11:37:54 am »
Recent fruits I have eaten:
banana
raspberries (now in season here in England)
strawberries (a bit past the season here in England)
apples (my wife made a delicious apple crumble)
blueberries (now in season here in England)

I also love fruit juice, and drink orange, grapefruite, and tomato juice regularly. And of course wine, made from grapes!

I had never heard of the fruits JTL mentioned.

I have seen goji berry plants for sale and almost bought one a few weeks ago.
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world