Author Topic: JTL  (Read 14843 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
JTL
« on: August 20, 2013, 01:02:43 pm »
Anyone heard from JTL? Just wondering if she's having problems accessing the site. I think her comments add an interesting perspective to the forum. I don't have an email for her, so am unable to check.  :-\

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
Re: JTL
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:53:53 pm »
Well, neither do I but the new forum has the same address as the old one so anybody klicking his or her old link is bound to land on the intro page.

Duncan, perhaps you should set up a message on the "home" page that all previous users have to re-register with the new forum. I initially was also unsure if this was only a new optical appearance or an entirely new forum and tried to log in with my previous details.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Online admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:10:31 pm »
Done that - and it is now the only news item at teh top of the page. TVM
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline JTL

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:17:01 am »
Hi!  I am here!  No problem logging in.  I was waiting to have something "worth saying".  :-)
Incidentally I have been baking cakes, growing apples, and going fishing etc.  I have caught Copper Redhorse, Roach, Coho Salmon, Yellow Perch, Fallfish, Bluegill.....
 8) 8) 8)

JTL

Gene

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:50:43 am »
JTL:

You have some mysterious apples. I always thought that apples grew only in cold climates. As a matter of fact, here in warm Southern California, apples only grow in some of our high mountain communities where temperatures fall below freezing. 

Are your apples "warm weather" apples?  I am curious..................great to see you are still alive and kicking.................................GG :) :)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 07:24:14 am »
I'm with Gene. I reckon you would have a snowflake in hell's chance of growing apples in Borneo!! Unless they are custard apples of course. My region of Queensland, at about 1000m,  is sufficiently cool in winter to grow apples and stonefruits in selected pockets of frost prone areas. We have a vineyard producing tropical wine near us - a rare thing to grow grapes in the tropics. Tell us more about those tropical apples, JTL. And nice to see you back here.

Online admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 07:50:16 am »
I was waiting to have something "worth saying".
This has never stopped anybody else.  ;)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline JTL

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 08:10:17 am »
Gene and Darryl:  My apples grow very well.  Big red apples.  I sell them and grow rich, and I bought a horse.  Why focus on my apples only?  Doesn't it smell fishy that I can catch those fishes? Britta or Bertha will figure this out.   ;D

Duncan:  Thank goodness others haven't lost their ability to talk.  I am getting old.   :)

JTL

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:22:39 am »
Doesn't it smell fishy that I can catch those fishes? Britta or Bertha will figure this out.

Not quite sure what you mean, do you think fishing is men's business? Well, I don't think so.

Personally I've never caught a fish, neither has my father, mother or grand parents, I'm sure. Doesn't run in the family, this skill. And I would't be too interested  because I dont like fish very much.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 12:19:21 pm »
Here's a Wikipedia article about growing apples in Malaysia in the Highlands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ba%27kelalan
Bertha

Gene

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 02:59:53 pm »
Bertha:

You are so brainy to dig out that informative article about Bakelalan. JTL must live there in order to have her own apples. 

I couldn't help but flash back to Hawaii. Would you believe they have a tobogganing team. One Hawaiian mountain goes up high enough to have snow. The local hotshots twist and turn in their sleds up there.

At any rate, I admire your nose. You can smell out the most exotic information..........................GG 8)

Gene

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 06:38:16 pm »
Darryl:

Your reference above to "tropical  wines" intrigues me. After having consumed thousands of bottles of wine, I never came across a tropical. What is it like? Red, white, green, sweet, dry, etc.

Please enlighten me..................................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 11:31:34 pm »
Gene, I know very little about wines. Never drink the stuff. Would prefer vinegar to the taste of wine.
I don't know that 'tropical' wine would have any difference in taste to that grown on the slopes of the Rhine - a grape's a grape isn't it? (I can imagine connoisseurs fuming over that.)
People make wine out of all sorts of fruit though. We have a winery just north of Mareeba in the savannah country making mango wine, and doing quite well apparently. There are a few 'boutique' wineries in the highlands between here and Cairns.
And JTL, if you are catching ocean fish, you probably live on the coast so your apples must be accustomed to heat and humidity. Unless you are up in the mountains catching river fish. I (and no doubt Gene) would be interested to know more about your situation and lifestyle.
And what you say is always 'worth saying'.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 12:11:53 am »
I very much enjoy [yellow tail] wine from Australia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Tail_%28wine%29
Bertha

Offline JTL

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 02:49:33 am »
Britta:  I did not mean that fishing is for men.  I meant that if anyone would realize what I was ACTUALLY doing that caused me to claim “growing apples and going fishing (with a string of fish names)” it might be one of you two.  “One of you two” because of the nature of this activity – soft/online/relatively new in its category.
Anyway, more hints:
I also grow Cherry, Raspberry, Blackberry, Cacao, Coffee. 
I also grow Wheat, Corn, Carrot, Soya Bean, Sugarcane, Tomato, Potato, Chilli Pepper, Indigo, Pumpkin.
I keep chickens, pigs, cows, goats.
I mine gold, silver, platinum, and I even make jewelry such as diamond rings, necklaces and bracelets.
Not to mention those things that make me hungry looking at them:  Cream cake,  cheese cake, chocolate cake, feta cake…. Shepherds pie, apple pie, bacon pie, fish pie…. Chocolate ice-cream….
Wow, I have to actually eat something now.
JTL