Author Topic: Bloody hell  (Read 536 times)

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
Bloody hell
« on: March 17, 2021, 02:52:49 pm »
This is from my time in the UK in 1990  ;D
German Erasmus Student: Bloody hell!
British colleague: Hey!
Me: What?
British colleague: He's not supposed to say that!
Me: But you say it all the time!
British colleague: But he's a bloody foreigner! He's supposed to speak proper English.

Said British colleague now has teenage kids of his own, I suppose he has learned the hard way, that kids don't do what you say, they do what you do.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
Re: Bloody hell
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 03:54:55 pm »
 ;D
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline marvin93

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 03:21:09 pm »
I'm not sure if it is directly related to the topic but as a very uncommon opinion, I think language acquisition does not happen the best in its natural environment all the time as people usually accept it as a general fact. Not only kids but any language learner tend to speak as a native does which can lead to major problems during the learning process. Sometimes it's better to have a teacher who has learned the language in the same way the students are learning to look at the situation from the same perspective as the students do. Two years ago I bought a property in Lisbon and decided to have some Portuguese classes in my free time. Luckily, I had like the best Portuguese teacher who was an American expat living in Lisbon and he helped me a lot during my learning process showing the most common mistakes especially the English learners do while trying to speak Portuguese and so on.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 06:07:23 pm »
Good point - especially during the early learning process.
Best wishes,

Duncan