Author Topic: A landscape addition  (Read 18805 times)

Offline JTL

Re: A landscape addition
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 01:48:10 am »
Gene, no problem, you will get to try our coffee, but you will be disappointed with it.  Most of the people here don't give a damn where the beans are from.  We don't take the trouble to brew coffee; we just tear a packet of 3-in-1 coffee mix.....

TK, bananas are the cheapest fruit easily found in our markets and if I grow a banana tree in my limited and expensive land attached to my home, most people (including me) will think I am silly.  But I do have a close friend who said she would choose to grow a banana tree in such a situation because she likes to hear the sound of winds blowing through the banana leaves. 

Davel, please show us a pic of your small pond, okay?  Small is cute. 

Regarding hilarious mistakes in subtitles, I remember seeing a translation to Chinese that resulted in something like "what that sexual intercourse" and feeling totally confused.  Knowing that it was an American movie, I finally realized that the original must be "WTF".  LOL!

Gene

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 04:54:19 pm »
JTL:

What is 3-in-1 coffee mix.....?.......................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 10:07:57 pm »
JTL:

What is 3-in-1 coffee mix.....?.......................GG

Gene, JTL will no doubt clarify, but I'm guessing it's one of those tubular packet things containing coffee, sugar and milk powder in the one-cup mix.
As a coffee aficianado of course, you would percolate your own special blends of coffee rather than opt for the 'instant' variety.  8)

Offline JTL

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 11:59:50 pm »
Darryl is right about 3-in-1 coffee mix.  There is also 2-in-1 which is without sugar.  Currently I have Nescafe Gold 3-in-1 at home: 
https://redmart.com/product/nescaf-2-in-1-coffee-mix

Gene

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 02:13:39 am »
JTL and Darryl:

I feel like an outsider. I have never seen any of these items you both describe. They may exist in our markets; however, I have not come across them. I purchase coffee at a smaller chain by the name of "Trader Joe's" which is popular in Southern California. I buy the dark roast French coffee which comes out pitch black and bitter, just like they have in Paris. Putting milk or sugar in coffee is an unspeakable crime..................................GG

P.S. I also like to drink hot green tea with nothing added. It perks me up in the early morning..................gg 

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 09:02:16 am »
Hot green tea with nothing added .... coffee that's pitch black and bitter.... Wow, they breed 'em tough in California.  ;)

Gene

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 03:44:20 pm »
However, I'm sttill wearing pink underwear from that mistake I made recently???????......................GG ;)

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 05:33:11 pm »
However, I'm sttill wearing pink underwear from that mistake I made recently? ??? ??? ......................GG ;)

Admit it: you like it! Otherwise you would have tried my bleach suggestion and have crisp white underwear by now...  ;D ;D ;D
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 05:43:49 pm »
One of my favourite coffee quotes:

Black as the devil, Hot as hell,
 Pure as an angel, Sweet as love.
 ~Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord

I do not understand how it can be pure and sweet at the same time, though. Personally, I never add sugar to coffee but I do add milk if there is a chance that I cannot finish the cup while it is still very hot. Unfortunately I tend to get myself a cup of coffee, am distracted and finally end up drinking it luke warm, immediately decide to get myself a new cup of hot coffee etc. A never ending story.  :-\

ps. Runs in the family. My husband laughed very hard when he found out that my sister does the same thing...

Now, how did we get here from a fish pond?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:46:26 pm by Britta »
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Gene

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 07:08:08 pm »
Admit it: you like it!

Britta:    I like it on certain curvaceous people, but not on me.

I have never tried bleach. Should I put about a liter in the washing machine for a normal load of pinkies?................................GG :-[

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 07:34:23 am »
I have never tried bleach. Should I put about a liter in the washing machine for a normal load of pinkies?................................GG :-[

Follow dilution instructions on the bottle. Soak it in a bucket over night or 24 hours, then put it in the washing machine. Make sure you wear gloves and don't spill the bleach on other clothing, shoes etc.

Gene

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2014, 03:32:10 pm »
Thanks B...............I'll give it a shot..............................GG

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2014, 03:48:25 pm »
I also like hot green tea with nothing added, and also strong, black coffee, especially after a heavy meal.
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2014, 06:20:10 pm »
Careful of the bleach if you have an elasticated band round the top of your pants!
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2014, 06:21:40 pm »
PS what do Americans call pants? For us, pants are the underwear and trousers are the "overwear".
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk