Author Topic: A landscape addition  (Read 17572 times)

Gene

Re: A landscape addition
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 02:02:12 pm »
Darryl:

That is a beautiful and artistic landscape. Was that at Mt. Isa or your present location?

Urban Yokel:

As a side note, I was in Athens some years ago. Arriving at the hotel, I flipped on the TV. An Americaan film was playing with the dialogue in English and the sub-titles in Greek for the benefit of the local viewers. Needless to say, I listened to the dialogue and avoided the sub-titles, just the opposite of your example....................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 11:17:19 pm »
@Gene. Yes, that was at Mount Isa. The pond was a nice little oasis in an otherwise parched environment. Had to top it up frequently though, as the evaporation rate is ferocious out there.

Offline JTL

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 01:28:32 am »

Wow, Darryl, beautiful work of yourself!  Why don't you make another one at your current homestead.... for the sake of good influence?   ;D 8) 
We should talk more about pond maintenance; right now I have to deal with the aftermath of a fish kill.  How soon it happens.   

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 07:53:56 am »
JTL, that is one of our plans, but it has come to a full stop while the monsoon season is on. I have got as far as laying out a length of hosepipe in the shape I want it to be, and that's all. The shape will most likely change as excavation here always reveals massive volcanic rocks, some of which are just unmovable.
Be assured when we do get going on it, I will post pics. I'll do a before and after, as you did.

Gene

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 06:05:52 pm »
JTL & Darryl:

I had a delightful experience early this morning. I stepped out to my front yard about 6:00AM and was impacted with an overwhelming fragrance of orange blossoms. My orange tree is in full bloom. It is a thing of beauty.

I immediately thought of you two folks. You both live in tropical locations.  I imagine you are surrounded with exotic scents also………so I am curious…….how do you smell?.....or rather what do you smell?..............................................GG ;)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 11:20:45 pm »
JTL & Darryl:

I had a delightful experience early this morning. I stepped out to my front yard about 6:00AM and was impacted with an overwhelming fragrance of orange blossoms. My orange tree is in full bloom. It is a thing of beauty.

I immediately thought of you two folks. You both live in tropical locations.  I imagine you are surrounded with exotic scents also………so I am curious…….how do you smell?.....or rather what do you smell?..............................................GG ;)

How do you smell?? Well, pretty ordinary after a morning's work in the garden in tropical humidity.  :-[
What do you smell? Here at the moment the gum blossoms are very strong - a fragrant, honey-like smell. Add the rather pungent odour of fruit bats in places. We have scented gums in flower too and they have a powerful lemon scent. In the garden right now, the musty smell of dampness and the scent of a mock orange tree and  mango tree.
Oh, and a waft of cattle dung from a couple of heifers on the fenceline.
Bit of a mix really.  :)

Offline JTL

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 06:54:31 am »
Gene:  We don't have any overwhelming smell that comes from the plants.  Where I live, the only smell that sometimes fills the atmosphere of the entire neighborhood is the fragrance of roasted coffee.  There is a coffee mill nearby.  Our smell here (that of coffee) reminds me of the existence of human beings while yours (the smell of orange blossoms) would hint me the existence of God. 

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 12:16:45 pm »
Gene:  ? . . while yours (the smell of orange blossoms) would hint me the existence of God.

If this were true, then Gene must be living in a nightmarish world of torment and agony every time he smells the orange blossoms.
Unless you forgot , he doesn't believe in God. Perhaps this time he'll have some second thoughts.  :-[

Gene

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 03:37:01 pm »
Perhaps this time he'll have some second thoughts.   

UY:

On the contrary. Since I stopped believing in the existence of God at the age of 12, my mind turned to the unfolding of Nature as an expression of the God concept. I found that the Judaic-Christian concept was based on mysticism, superstition and fiction. Unfolding nature is a reality………and my therapist always insisted that I face reality…………………..GG

Gene

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 03:43:59 pm »
mock orange tree

Darryl:

I live in the land of orange trees. What is this beast of which thy speak?..................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 10:09:51 pm »
mock orange tree

Darryl:

I live in the land of orange trees. What is this beast of which thy speak?..................GG

Gene, I'm no gardening expert, (Ill leave that to she who must be obeyed) but a mock orange is a small shrubby thing with very fragrant white flowers. I'm sure Google Images would have examples.

Offline t k

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 01:40:35 am »
JTL and Darryl ---  Would not banana trees grow in your gardens?  I long to have some bananas fully ripe on trees.  --- tk

Gene

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 02:30:10 am »
fragrance of roasted coffee

JTL:

I never realized that coffee was grown in Borneo. It is not sold in our markets here. Since I am a coffee aficionado, I would greatly appreciate if you would bring me a small packet on your next trip to the States. I will treat you to a nice lunch...............GG 

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 04:38:29 am »
JTL and Darryl ---  Would not banana trees grow in your gardens?  I long to have some bananas fully ripe on trees.  --- tk

Yes, bananas do well in the tropics here and we have many large plantations in the coastal areas. Up here in the mountains, bananas are a bit touchy because they are not very frost tolerant.

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 02:13:05 pm »
Hi Everyone

How lucky you are to have a huge garden! I have a pond in my garden, too, but it is so small that if I wanted to get into it, I wouldn't even fit!

I have known other people, too, who can read (and write) a language, such as English, but have trouble speaking and listening to it with understanding.

I worked in Japan for two months in 1990, and some of the TVs were bilingual: you could push a button to change the commentary from Japanese to English. I think I've heard of such things in the USA, too, for Spanish and English. Of course, you'd have to watch the same programme in your own language first before trying the other one!

The main TV channels here used to have subtitles, too, not sure if they still do since we went digital, but I think they do. Sometimes, however, the sub-titles make mistakes, often hilarious ones, especially proper names!
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world