Author Topic: A landscape addition  (Read 17629 times)

Offline JTL

A landscape addition
« on: February 18, 2014, 08:24:26 am »
Some Chinese sage has said that it is better one thing less than one thing more, but I carelessly got myself one thing more: A garden waterfall & fish pond.  I know that eventually it will be more work than fun, but for now, I shall have the fun of showing it off:

Before:

After:

The construction is completed only this morning and there is no fish yet in the pond.  I don't intend to keep koi because they are high maintenance and not particularly attractive to me (they are like celebrities in the fish world).  I like smaller fish that reminds me of rivers in the woods.  I also want to keep some shrimp and something else so that it looks like a society.  I am going out now to look for some water plants. 

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
Re: A landscape addition
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:17:58 pm »
Lovely!  I hope you have no cats around, if you're going to have fish.  My neighbor build a small pond and had koi, which are usually expensive too.  In no time at all, she had no fish because of a neighborhood cat.  Not mine.  She was mad, but she had taken no precautions either.  She could have put a mesh or something across the surface so the cat could not go fishing!  Good luck with yours.  I really is quite pretty!
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 12:47:31 pm »
JTL, that is a lovely creation. I like the before/after idea. Worth sacrificing the paw paw trees!
They look like crows nest plants on the waterfall and the far side. We grow those here too. Good luck with your fish. At least you don't have kookaburras to swoop down and grab them.

Gene

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 04:32:40 pm »
JTL:     Those are magnificant pictures. Your idylic garden is a thing of beauty. The neighborhood looks very upscale. You must be wealthy. I am just nosey.

At this end of the world I am having trouble with squirrels. There is a huge pine tree in my back yard towering up over a hundred feet. Squirrels climb up to the pine cones and start chewing on them.........which scatters a carpet of debris on my lovely green lawn below. I like to see the cute squirrels bounce around; however, they are a  bane to my gardener who has to rake up all the bits and pieces.

I love to read your postings. Good luck with your projects...............................GG   

Offline JTL

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 05:23:45 am »
@Bertha:  Your neighbor's pond is probably shallow enough for cats to fish from.  Mine is also shallow but shaped in a way that cats can't fish there without falling into the pond themselves.  I hope I won't wake up one day to see cats IN the pond.   ;D

@Darryl:  Yes, that's the fern you talk about.  We don't grow them; they grow themselves in undisturbed spots with constant moisture and some dirt, for example, in the gutter.  They often grow on palm trees too.  I like ferns!

@Gene: If you look at other areas in my life, you may think I am poor.  For example, I drive a 1000 CC used car, wear ten-dollar clothing, have no jewelry, seldom travel.... I have a special interest in houses and gardens, though.  More than a year ago, I moved into this house, in this neighborhood that is lower class than the previous one, but I find this neighborhood more interesting than the previous one.  With the exception of the corner units, other houses in this area have limited space indoor or outdoor, and when I drive around the blocks, I can see how the owners make creative use of their limited space.  For example, one household has a vertical garden on the wall of their carport and another put pots of plants on their balcony.... and someone DIY a very basic bird house with a piece of linoleum as the roof and keeps two birds, and another someone tied a rooster on its foot with a string long enough for the rooster to roam and get on the fence.... Driving around here is like driving down a story lane.  Speaking of "story", pine trees and squirrels are things from story books, and your mention of them brings back a feeling of my childhood days when having a story book to read would bliss me out.  It is funny I would grow up and speak to people from story books.   8)

Gene

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 03:22:14 pm »
JTL:

Your command of English is extraordinary. Where did you learn the language?...........................GG

Offline JTL

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 12:47:25 am »
JTL:

Your command of English is extraordinary. Where did you learn the language?...........................GG

I learned the basic grammar from school and picked more up from this very English Grammar Clinic (Thank you to the teachers here!).  As for fluency, it is the result of much reading on the internet.  It used to be forums and columns but nowadays usually blogs.  You want to know which blogs? You might be interested.   ;)

Gene

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 02:06:32 am »
JTL:

Although your written English is perfect, I am curious if you also speak it well. I would love to hear you in an Engish speaking conversation. If I could get your phone number, I will call you and we will have a chat. I am frequently out at a senior citizen club meeting; however, I certainly would return your call.

LET'S TALK, LET'S DANCE, LET'S HAVE FUN!!!!!!!............................................GG
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:09:36 am by Darryl »

Offline JTL

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 04:34:43 am »
Any moderator around?  Please delete Gene's telephone number as soon as possible.  I don't think it is safe for anyone to post their phone number like this. 

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 08:11:48 am »
Any moderator around?  Please delete Gene's telephone number as soon as possible.  I don't think it is safe for anyone to post their phone number like this.

Done, JTL.
Suggest that Gene sends you his number via PM or email.

Offline JTL

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 08:34:22 am »
Thank you very much Darryl!  Now I will answer Gene's question about my ability to speak in English:  I can't speak in English, and I can't understand anyone's spoken English unless he is a Malaysian Chinese.   :-[  I miss out on all those great movies in English because I can't catch the dialogues.  So, our interaction will remain on this forum! 

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 02:11:16 am »
   I miss out on all those great movies in English because I can't catch the dialogues.  So, our interaction will remain on this forum!

Some newer TV sets are capable of close captioning where you can read and listen to the dialog. I use it in the bedroom with the set muted so I don't disturb my wife when she's sound asleep.

Of course this feature is provided by the TV channel. I don't know if you have this in your area.

Offline JTL

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 04:01:28 am »
Urban Yokel, some of our TV programs have subtitles too, but their choice of movies are not great.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 11:36:00 am »
JTL, I thought you may like to see a fish pond I made at our place some years ago. No waterfall however. We had some goldfish in  it, but visiting herons and voracious kookaburras made short work of them. It did become a haven for frogs though.
Anyway, for the sake of good influence, here's a pic:

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 12:12:52 pm »
Urban Yokel, some of our TV programs have subtitles too, but their choice of movies are not great.

Closed captioning and subtitles are two different things.
Subtitles are readable in local language and text.
For English speakers, subtitle is a good way to enjoy foreign films where the dialog (in written text) are translated to English but the foreign audible dialog remain intact.
Closed captioning on the other hand are readable (live ) and written verbatim in the precise words and phrases as spoken--a good way to correct mispronounced words too.