Author Topic: Learning something new every day  (Read 9538 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: Learning something new every day
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 10:54:45 am »
Cough?...............................................GG

Ha! I thought that was a gentle cough from Duncan for getting off track!  ;D
Yes, there's something about very ripe bananas that starts a cough reflex in her. Funny thing is - only Cavendish bananas. She can eat lady finger bananas or 'sugar' bananas as we call them, when they are just about black with no effect at all.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 10:58:15 am »
JTL, I just read back over your original post and realised I did learn something there. A new phrase: 'for the sake of good influence'. It has a nice tone to it. Never heard it before. Is it in use where you are or did you make it up?

Offline JTL

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 12:29:32 am »
JTL, I just read back over your original post and realised I did learn something there. A new phrase: 'for the sake of good influence'. It has a nice tone to it. Never heard it before. Is it in use where you are or did you make it up?

It is my own combination of words.  I mean this:  In order to help create some good influence.  How would YOU say that?   :)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 07:50:12 am »

It is my own combination of words.  I mean this:  In order to help create some good influence.  How would YOU say that?   :)

In order to spark some discussion. In order to initiate debate. But I like your words.

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 10:45:17 pm »
For the sake of good influence, you are invited to share what new things you have learned today.  What you learned before are not counted here. 

The American idiom for this line of thinking is: "for all it's worth".
For all it's worth I'd like to share things I learned today, I hope you would share yours too.

You are eliciting some ideas that would bring forth or response  similar to your wonderful experience.

This is akin to a polite request, therefore you would not want to sound demanding.

Offline JTL

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 11:26:17 pm »
@Darryl
"In order to spark some discussion" is natural sounding and you will see this everywhere on all kinds of internet forums, but the phrase doesn't express what I meant.  You see, if I post a pic of a piece of cloud on the sky and ask what everyone thinks it looks like, and several people respond with their ideas what it looks like, and what it doesn't, there will be a discussion, but the discussion is useless for anyone.  On the other hand, if I post and ask about the best way to store bananas, the discussion can be useful.  Yet, if I post and say that I am going to live a more frugal life, how and why, and it causes some others to end up doing something similar, there's good influence.  Although I read all kinds of "discussions", I like the useful ones better and the good- influence ones best.  This is because, and I know it will be puzzling to others, at the age of 56 I still haven't found my correct way of living.  "Correct" for myself. 

@Urban yokel
For all it's worth -- yes, this is very idiomatic.  Thanks for the examples.

Offline t k

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 03:49:57 am »
I learned that bell peppers in red, orange, and yellow are worth eating raw, and often scorn salad dressings.  We call them paprikas here, while calling green ones pimientos, pronounced "peemaang".  --- tk

Offline JTL

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 05:34:35 am »
Tk, did you mean that these bell peppers are best eaten raw without salad dressings?  Can this type of vegetable grow in Korea?  BTW, I have learned that the best way to have vegetables to eat is..... to buy them.  All my attempts to grow some vegetables have failed totally, especially tomatoes.  My sister who lives opposite me has had ZERO success with tomatoes too.  Tomatoes hate us.

Offline t k

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 07:51:01 am »
Tk, did you mean that these bell peppers are best eaten raw without salad dressings?  Can this type of vegetable grow in Korea?  BTW, I have learned that the best way to have vegetables to eat is..... to buy them.

Yes, JTL, I found it pleasing to have them raw, nothing else.  I think they are grown in Korea, in greenhouses.  My only choice is buying them.  --- tk

Gene

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 03:34:08 pm »
All my attempts to grow some vegetables have failed totally, especially tomatoes.

JTL:

Your experience parallels my own. Several years ago I decided to grow tomatoes in my back yard. I babied them, caressed them, sung to them........................and they turned out a disaster after all my fussing. I wound up buying them at the super.......................................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 10:53:25 pm »
Tomatoes are touchy things to grow. The heat gets at them here and they finish up like sun-dried tomatoes, if the rats and possums don't get at them first.
Cherry tomatoes are a different matter. They grow like weeds on my place and it's no problem to pick a bucketful. Nice in salads and omelettes.

Offline JTL

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 01:13:36 am »
It was cherry tomatoes that I tried.  Oh, never mind.  Better to report what I have succeeded growing: Pineapples and mulberries.  I have learned that you shouldn't eat mulberries before they are completely ripe; they are toxic then.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 11:19:03 pm »
What about passion fruit, JTL? We have a glut of them on my place at present. Vines everywhere! I would think they would do well where you are.

Offline JTL

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2014, 01:18:07 am »
Passion fruit grows well here but I don't like that fruit.  My space is limited so I can only grow what I like best, mango for example. 

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2014, 07:42:16 am »
JTL, I think there is a fortune to be made for someone who can develop seedless passion fruit. Nice tasting fruit but the seeds are a nuisance.
Yes, mangoes are very nice - ours are just coming ripe now but they have a tendency to split in heavy rain.