Author Topic: just like what I said/mentioned earlier  (Read 35 times)

Offline bookworm

just like what I said/mentioned earlier
« on: November 09, 2019, 04:13:02 pm »
Please confirm if the expression just like what I mentioned is offensive in formal situations. Let's say you are communicating with a client, customer, unknown colleagues in other areas or overseas, etc.

Just like what I said in our conversation (by phone) earlier, ....​
  Just like what I mentioned in my last email message, ...​

There are two types of messages here. One is implicit and the other one is explicit:

1. You mentioned in your previous conversation (by email or phone) that your store only accepts cash. Same customer calls back later asking if you also accept cheques.

Just like what I said earlier, we do not accept other modes of payment.​

2. Same customer calls back asking if you will accept his nickels or five cents worth $10. He has a bag of 200 nickels.

Just like what I said earlier, we do accept cash so you can bring them here.​

I think it's all right to use this expression among friends, classmates, and close relatives in casual conversations. But do you find examples 1 and 2 slightly insulting that you have to avoid using the expression (even if it's said in a nice way) in professional situations?
English is my second language.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: just like what I said/mentioned earlier
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 09:07:00 am »
I don't think the comment is insulting, but perhaps unnecessary. And that customer sounds like he's just being awkward. No one should be expected to count out 200 coins.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
Re: just like what I said/mentioned earlier
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 05:12:08 pm »
The vocabulary/grammar is very clunky.
Just like what I said/mentioned should be recast to: (Just) as I said/mentioned...
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk