Author Topic: PM and Mr President  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
PM and Mr President
« on: September 23, 2019, 10:09:05 am »
I see our Prime Minister is getting along very well with Mr Trump on his visit to America. Pictures this morning of them both at an Australian-owned cardboard box manufacturing plant in Ohio. The Morrisons have been very well received over there - state dinner, all the fanfare and pageantry. It is true though … the two countries do have a lot in common. And I believe Mr Pompeo now has an Akubra to be proud of!

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
Re: PM and Mr President
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 12:01:29 pm »
I would remain skeptical.  Trump enjoys entertaining in a big way to show off, and he is also campaigning for his reelection in 2020. He likes to get every photo op possible that shows how good a president he is--even if he's really not.  He is a con artist in a big way. All show and no go.  He did the same with the leaders of Japan and China and others.  Look how well that turned out.  (end of rant)
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 12:16:20 pm »
Yes, the Ohio coverage did look a lot like a political campaign, but I have a lot of trouble figuring out how you work things over there with primaries etc. But from an outsider looking in, everything seemed very cordial and amicable enough. Maybe that's a bit naïve, I don't know.
But what about British politics. All we seem to hear about on the news is BREXIT and more BREXIT. Hard or soft BREXIT (whatever that means), Deal or No Deal BREXIT etc etc. Surely everyone over there is just about tearing their hair out by now. Wouldn't you just want it done and finished and over with, and the pollies can get back to running the country.
Not trying to be political at all. As I said, just an outside observer.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 12:07:36 pm »
Primary elections or caucuses are the way that final candidates are put on the election ballot for the "big" election in November (2020 in this case).  Iowa is a caucus state so those who are involved are very close to the populace in their district--they are representatives of sorts--and as far as I know, they don't exactly fight but they discuss the merits of each candidate and come to a consensus as to who will be put forward from the state of Iowa for the convention. It's sort of complicated, I think.  There are a few other states that use this process, but most states have primary elections so the electorate votes for their candidate and the one with the most votes moves on to the national election process at the convention.  The political conventions then hash out the final election platform and do a final count of the convention representatives who are supporting a candidate. Of course, by the time of the convention, it's pretty clear who will be selected.

My opinion is that it's not a terribly efficient system and it's fraught with problems.  I've seen some surprises through the years, but I don't think it's the fairest way to do things always.  The political party wields a great deal of power, so the party machine often chooses their favorite and pushes that one over others no matter what representatives might say.  I think that happened in the 2016 election when Clinton was the candidate. She had been chosen long before the primaries were even done and a candidate like Sanders really was shunned by the party because they thought he was a wild card and wouldn't kowtow to party politics.  Already, we see that sort of thing with the group of those seeking the democratic nomination.  Biden has been promoted heavily as being the leader and many think the foregone choice, but Warren is moving up and even ahead in some areas.  Sanders is down to third in the polls.  I hope that the younger people are really paying attention and will vote for either Warren or Sanders to send a message that they don't want the status quo. 
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 09:33:59 am »
Thanks for the explanation, Bertha. It certainly is a complex system!
I see the British Parliament has been called back after Mr Johnson 'illegally' suspended it. He's not a happy man on the news today.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 11:38:25 am »
And there is not one or two, but six different investigations into Trump's administration that certainly appears to be corrupt in many ways. He, being a narcissist, loves all the attention but hates the reasons for it.  The leader of the House of Representatives has now started an impeachment investigation, which may not totally get rid of him, but it's not going to be pretty. 
Bertha

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 07:59:54 am »
What a lot we have in common  :(
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 09:51:56 am »
Yes, Ms Pilosi was all over the news this morning. She looked like she just didn't want to be there.

Online t k

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 02:50:32 am »
What a lot we have in common  :(

I agree from this corner.  --- tk

Offline Alan29

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 03:59:45 pm »
Straightened, they became friends. :-)

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 11:37:15 am »
The Australian PM and the US President have become friends as long as the PM does favors for the President, it seems.  Keep in mind that Trump does nothing unless it's a transaction and it benefits him. 
Bertha