Author Topic: weather again  (Read 12163 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: weather again
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 09:50:44 pm »
Rain and strong winds? Send 'em here to Qld.

Gene

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 02:55:07 am »
Looks ghastly. What are they standing over?...........................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 03:18:32 am »
Looks ghastly. What are they standing over?...........................GG
The remains of their less robust brethren.

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 12:44:00 pm »
Heavy rain overnight has brought more misery to southern England. For the first time, it affected me personally in that my normal route to work was shut due to flooding. Of course, that meant traffic on all near-by roads was also snarled. Another road that I sometimes take is also shut. It is sunny now, but more rain is due overnight, along with strong winds. They are now saying that Sunday and Monday will be calm, but more rain is headed for us by Tuesday!
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 10:31:41 pm »
Dave, the news here this morning shows huge flooding in the Thames and areas of Berkshire in big trouble.
I was trying to find out what the rainfall readings were to cause such flooding. I guess the infrastructure there is not designed to cope with huge amounts of rain. How much rain are you getting in a day? 50mm, 100mm, 400mm??? Here we are used to very heavy rainfall on the coastal areas and places like Tully, Cairns, Babinda have been known to have a metre of rain in a day.
I see Kowanyama on the western Cape York has had over a metre out of Cyclone Fletcher. The difference is of course, that we don't have the density of population you have so relatively few people are affected. and the people of the inland are still living in hope that some reaches them.
Anyway, I hope where you are, that you are coping with the discomfort. At least our rain is warm; looks freezing from the internet photos over your way. :(

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 11:56:10 am »
I read a news article here, which points the blame on the flooding to some mistakes made by the Environment Agency: http://news.sky.com/story/1208817/floods-military-on-standby-as-water-moves-east. Scroll down for links to other stories.  It seems that the ground is just saturated and the rivers are unable to drain the water off as they do under normal amounts of rain.  It's the most rain in almost 250 years, it seems!
Bertha

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 02:55:28 pm »
Everything Bertha has said is echoed in the press here: the most rain since 1760.

I know someone who works for the Environment Agency and she said basically, the ground is full: there is nowhere for the water to go so people who live nowhere near a river are suffering as water comes up wherever it can: manhole covers, springs, cellars.

They have just upgraded the warning for strong winds for west Wales and NW England from amber to red as they expect 100 mph winds. Our warning here on the south coast has been upgraded from yellow to amber. More heavy rain is expected on Friday - it just will not stop.

BERTHA, you may recall when we walked to or from Winchester city centre, we walked along a footpath next to a river with ducks swimming in it, very pleasant. The river now covers that entire path and that whole part of the city is flooding. They have called in the Navy to help out, and they have placed sandbags IN the river upstream to try and divert some water into near-by fields to keep it out of Winchester. Lots of roads are closed.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11004585.Storms_to_smash_into_Hampshire/?ref=var_0 this is a link to our local newspaper.

My son lives in Surrey, about 15 mins from Hampton Court Palace. The Thames has breached its banks near his house, but so far they are OK, altho' they are worried at possible problems with drains blocking. People in many places have been told not to flush toilets, use dishwashers or washing machines as the drainage systems simply cannot cope with that amount of water suddenly entering the system.
Davel,

Gene

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 04:07:10 pm »
And here in Southern California we are having the worst drought in recorded history. We are warned NOT to flush toilets because water is so scarce.

We must find something or somebody to blame this international weather fiasco on. We used to blame the communists for all our calamities. What is causing this devastating event today? Nature?..............................GG

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 05:13:54 pm »
We must find something or somebody to blame this international weather fiasco on. We used to blame the communists for all our calamities. What is causing this devastating event today?
#

Global warming makes a nice culprit. It may even be a cause...
Or perhaps it's just statistics.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 02:17:54 pm »
Surprise, surprise! We actually have had four days without rain, or at least not much! It has been mostly sunny the past few days, although at times, there was a chilly wind which meant you needed gloves. We still have not had any freezing temperatures here on the South Coast. The crocuses are fully out, and even some daffodils. Other spring flowers such as hellebores, elephant ear, and grape hyacinths are also blooming.
Davel,

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 10:23:19 pm »
The crocuses are fully out, and even some daffodils. Other spring flowers such as hellebores, elephant ear, and grape hyacinths are also blooming.

Something about clouds and silver linings there.  8)

Offline t k

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 03:08:47 am »
... hellebores ...

I cannot help smiling at this name. Their Google photos are not bores though.  --- tk

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 01:05:59 pm »
Summer arrived in England yesterday! On Saturday, it was warm enough for my wife and myself to have lunch outside in our garden. Yesterday it was warmer still, and I wore only a pair of shorts. According to the news it was 20 degrees C (approx 68F). Not hot by Austalian standards, I know, but very pleasant in England in March!
Davel,

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 09:59:31 pm »
Summer arrived in England yesterday! On Saturday, it was warm enough for my wife and myself to have lunch outside in our garden. Yesterday it was warmer still, and I wore only a pair of shorts. According to the news it was 20 degrees C (approx 68F). Not hot by Austalian standards, I know, but very pleasant in England in March!

20 degrees C and wearing only shorts!! You're one tough man. I'd be looking for a coat. (((( :())))

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 10:53:45 am »
I was born and raised in Niagara Falls, NY, USA, on the Canadian border, so am well used to cold temperatures!  ;)

Furthermore, with the unpredictability of British weather, I take my sunshine when I can!
Davel,