Author Topic: weather again  (Read 12561 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
weather again
« on: January 29, 2014, 10:29:47 pm »
Snow in new Orleans??? Dramatic scenes on breakfast tv today of huge freeze in the southern states. That's a bit unusual isn't it? That would be like frost in Cairns.
And while you guys are freezing, Melbourne hit 40 something degrees again the other day, with bushfires raging across the state.
Here, we are waiting to see what Cyclone Dylan decides to do. It's hanging off the Queensland coast at present and expected to cross early tomorrow. My son lives in Townsville and they are expecting a direct hit. But he's well prepared, as most of us are during this season. This one is a little different in that it coincides with a king tide, so with a couple of hundred millimetres of rain and a tidal surge from the cyclone. there could be some anxious moments for coastal dwellers. Nice to be in the mountains.
But it's not all bad. The inland graziers are pinning their hopes on the cyclone crossing and bringing drought-relief rain to the parched interior. I hope it does.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
Re: weather again
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 11:14:02 pm »
We shivering here in Oklahoma, although it's sunny!  The wind cuts right through the body and makes it feel at least 20 degrees lower than air temperature.  We are expecting a winter storm here on Monday/Tuesday, unsure of how much snow we'll get, but it doesn't take a whole lot to bring things to a halt here.  Oklahoma is sort of in the South although it's not the "Deep South" which is dealing with winter weather that they aren't prepared for. 
Bertha

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:49:35 am »
Think I'll stay here ;)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Gene

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 04:38:44 pm »
In Southern California, it has been chilly at night but warm and sunny during the day. I have felt a few earth tremors recently which scared the h--ll out of me.  I alwayhs imagine the tremors will be followed by the big one.........ugh!!!...........................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 10:03:11 pm »
Think I'll stay here ;)
I've been to your part of the world and understand that!
I guess we all like where we live or we wouldn't be there.
Despite what Australia throws at us at times, I wouldn't be anywhere else. Dorothea Mackellar expresses my views:

The love of field and coppice,
Of green and shaded lanes.
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins,
Strong love of grey-blue distance
Brown streams and soft dim skies
I know but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!

A stark white ring-barked forest
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon.
Green tangle of the brushes,
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When sick at heart, around us,
We see the cattle die -
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady, soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the Rainbow Gold,
For flood and fire and famine,
She pays us back threefold -
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze.

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land -
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand -
Though earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 02:46:49 pm »
Just been for a walk with the dog - invigorating!
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 12:38:05 am »
We will be having three waves of winter weather arriving.  The first is this weekend, the next late Monday into Tuesday, and the third on Thursday or Friday.  We could have anywhere from 2-8 inches of snow, which is my preference over the alternative of ice.  Going to be cold too.
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 09:35:06 pm »
Phew! I spent yesterday in Cairns. The temp was only about 35 degres but the humidity was a killer. Very uncomfortable. Went for a walk around Cairns Lagoon at night (photo below). Pretty place - many people choose to swim here after dark to avoid sunburn and the intense heat of the day.
We were glad to return to the (relative) coolness of the mountains after a very steamy day on the coast.

Gene

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 09:44:08 pm »
Darryl:

Did you go to the Jolly Roger for some bugs?......................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 11:07:48 pm »
Nah. Not keen on bugs. We had a nice fish dinner at Barnacle Bill's on the Esplanade. I don't think the Jolly Roger still operates. Haven't heard of them for years.

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 02:04:02 pm »
Here in the south of England, all it does is rain. January was the wettest month since records began in 1910. Some villages in the county of Somerset, towards the south west, have been cut off for SEVEN weeks. The government minister for the Environment finally paid them a visit to see for himself, as did the Prince of Wales. This morning, the coasts of Cornwall and Devon took a severe beating with winds of up to 90 mph accompanied by heavy rain. Trees are down, landslides in many places, it is truly awful. And...they say the worst is yet to come as another series of storms is heading our way starting tomorrow evening (Thurs 6th Feb).

They say the polar vortex that has been dumping North America with snow continues to cross the Atlantic to us, meeting up with the warm Gulf Stream. Warm + wet = heavy rain. Many parts of continental Europe are also suffering.

In our press, we read of California having a severe water shortage - they are welcome to as much of ours as they want. This part of England had 225% of the normal rainfall in January.
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 10:15:58 pm »

In our press, we read of California having a severe water shortage - they are welcome to as much of ours as they want. This part of England had 225% of the normal rainfall in January.

Send some to us too, Dave. Most of Queensland is drought declared and Cyclone Dylan didn't live up to expectations. The peninsula region got some out of Cyclone Fletcher but the interior remains parched. Send us all ya got.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 12:18:16 am »
We're plunging into single digits (below zero F even)!  Expecting some snow tonight.
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 06:17:50 am »
While looking for other things on the net, I found the weather report for a place called Troy, in Ohio. Their maximum temperatures this week have a negative in front of them. That is just too cold to contemplate.
Hmmmm. Hot here. Think I'll just turn the aircon up a notch.

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 12:25:58 pm »
Re: negative high temps - When I was growing up in Niagara Falls, New York, on the Canadian border, it seemed to me we had one week every winter where the temperature never made it above zero in degrees Fahrenheit.

Re: rain in England, here is just one of many articles on the subject: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26042990

And it is raining heavily today, forecast to continue all day long. We'll have a bit of a respite tomorrow, but then Saturday will bring even more rain and strong winds.
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world