Author Topic: Need Good Thoughts  (Read 689 times)

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
Need Good Thoughts
« on: May 20, 2019, 12:14:22 pm »
Today in Oklahoma, we are under a high risk of severe storms. The forecasters predict we will encounter hail as big as baseballs, many tornadoes, and flooding.  The triple whammy!  Even if we don't get a tornado, our winds will be up to 90mph during a storm. We get our first round during the mid-morning, then a lull until afternoon. This threat is present all the way through the night.

May 20, 2013, on this date, we had a 17 mile long tornado that destroyed a large part of Moore, OK, just a few miles away from where I live.  Two schools were destroyed that day, and 24 fatalities including children in the schools.  Many more injuries and devastation everywhere.  Eleven days later on May 31, we experienced a second large tornado that further damaged what hadn't been destroyed already.  My personal residence was okay--just a few tree limbs broken down--but you can imagine how nervous we get here now if the weather conditions produce something similar.  We do not have a tornado shelter due to a high cost, so we try to take what precautions we can.  Otherwise, we just hunker down until it's over and mostly hope nothing comes our way. Schools and some other activities are already cancelled for today. We stay close to home. We stay tuned to the weather reports. We listen for the storm sirens to blow, which signal we're in the path of a twister that could touch down.  We pray.

If you will, please send good thoughts and if you pray, add one for Oklahoma, that whatever happens, no lives are lost and damage will not be severe. 

Thank you.
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: Need Good Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 01:29:25 pm »
Knee mail sent to you all, Bertha. Hope you are all safe and well when this is over.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 02:46:19 pm »
Bloomin' 'eck Bertha. That does sound really worrying. Another reason for emigrating! We don't get weather like that here - thank goodness.

Do let us know when it is all over and you are OK. As Darryl says - knee mail.
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline JTL

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 12:15:44 am »
Bertha, I still remember we talked about the case in 2013, and you were considering building a shelter.  Emigration or shelter is more useful than knee mail.  Hope this is over soon and you are safe!

Offline t k

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 04:18:50 am »
I send my prayers nevertheless.

I wonder if there's not a place in some public facilities where many can hide in severe weather.  --- tk

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 08:05:49 am »
Praying for you also.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
Re: Need Good Thoughts--Updated
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 11:51:26 am »
Update:

Yesterday (Monday) was quite stressful.  We had dire warnings and watches, but Oklahoma City has been spared the worst.  There were lots of thunderstorms, many with twisters and tornadoes.  A twister is a spinning cloud/wind system technically called a rotation.  They don't actually touch down.  Tornadoes are rotations that touch down, usually causing mild to severe damage.  I don't know the total count of tornadoes yet, but they hit places in southwestern and north central Oklahoma, so they around us.  We had thunderstorms all night with heavy rain, and many areas have flash flooding.  I just turned the tv on and Interstate 40 is closed in one place about fifteen miles west of Oklahoma City because of deep, running water over the highway, making for a dangerous traffic situation.  Traffic is being diverted off the interstate at a crossroad and then to the frontage/access road back on past that point.  As you can imagination, think of the Autobahn or the M-1 (sorry Darryl, don't know what you call your freeways) being flooded and traffic having to be diverted on side roads, even 18 wheelers since this is a major east-west interstate high speed highway.

With daylight in another hour, I might see more. 
Thanks for the knee mail.

B.
Bertha

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 12:56:13 pm »
Glad you are OK doll
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 11:27:30 pm »
Just saw the coverage on morning TV news, Bertha. Quite a torrid time for you, but pleased to hear you are OK. The news report showed massive flooding, with major arterial roads cut. I happens here too - our highways are cut for months on end in this part of Queensland. The rail link between Townsville and Mount Isa is still not open after the February deluge.
Anyway, good that you are safe. Daylight will bring some relief. Things always seem worse during the hours of darkness.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 10:27:33 am »
Bertha, how are you doing? Can you give us an update?

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 01:36:12 pm »
Update:

We have continued to have lines of severe thunderstorms every night this past week.  Nighttime storms are especially dangerous because it's much harder to see a tornado or what may be coming.  People rely on the television reporting with their use of various prediction means, most high powered radar systems. Those can spot tornadoes or the likelihood of the tornadoes path pretty far out; however, not always. Stormchasers are always out to look for any areas that might incur problems.  All that said, the recent storms have been tricky because the front of the storms bring very high winds quickly going from calm to 50+ mph in a minute or two. When that happens, there can be spin-up tornadoes, which might not be very big like the dramatic photos you may have seen before, but those small tornadoes can rip through a neighborhood or just hit whatever is in its path.  This is what happened last night (May 25, 2019), when a small tornado ripped through part of the city of El Reno, which is about 25 miles west of Oklahoma City.  It destroyed a motel, part of a mobile home park, and several other locations. Two people were confirmed dead so far and many people injured.

What did I do last night? I slept through the entire storm!  All is well at my house. We had almost two more inches of rain to add to the amounts we have had already. My backyard is pretty soggy. 

We still have chances of more severe weather to come through another week or so. 
Bertha

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 01:38:40 pm »
Here's a link to some video from one of our local tv stations: https://www.koco.com/article/damage-reported-after-severe-storm-hits-el-reno/27591808
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 11:33:21 pm »
Thanks, Bertha. Hope things go well for you this coming week.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 12:03:22 pm »
Thanks, Darryl,

We are in a short lull, but we still have severe weather risk returning on Tuesday and Wednesday, with another break on Thursday and Friday, and then the pattern repeats. I hope that pattern breaks soon.  The flooding is the worst some areas have seen in decades.  Lots of clean up going on with the El Reno storm, but it will recover.  There are many people and businesses that are helping, donating food and clothing and shelter, and even with clean up. 

Cheers!
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 12:14:54 pm »
I know it's a bit of a cliché, but things like this do bring communities together. I think it is part of our nature to help others when things are looking grim. It happened here during the recent Townsville floods and the crisis in Western Quensland. Australians are good at that, and I think the same would apply in your country.
Please keep us informed.