Author Topic: Computer check  (Read 84 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Computer check
« on: December 06, 2018, 02:55:27 am »
Not quite sure if this will work or not.
We had a massive lightning strike here on Monday 3rd Dec. It shook the whole house (and me), and took out our computer, phone and modem. It also destroyed two TVs and blew up the bore pump which supplies our water.
So we have had a few interesting days.
This new computer is a bit different from the old one. It hasn't asked me to reregister so we'll see what happens.
Queensland is having a tough time at present with widespread heat waves, bush fires and severe hail storms. We were caught in a hail storm on Tuesday but are OK apart from some bruising.
Summer time … what fun!

Offline t k

Re: Computer check
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 05:09:18 am »
I am glad that you are safe.  I hope your bush fires are not so bad as those of California, US.  It's cool to be able to take those things as fun!  --- tk

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 10:57:16 am »
Glad you are OK Darryl. It puts our little drop of rain into perspective :)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 11:03:46 am »
Welcome back. That was a quick recovery for a computer change.  ;D
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 04:31:58 pm »
Glad all is well. I had heard a bit of news about Australia having storms, fires and other heat related issues.  A direct lightning strike can be unnerving, so I'm glad you or Judy were uninjured.  Good that you're back online so quickly, too.

Stay safe. I hope none of the fires are close to you, too. They can move very fast, as evidenced in California.  We get more than our share of wildfires in Oklahoma, too, and we're dry. We are now under a winter storm warning, expecting snow, ice, sleet and "winter mix."  Guess we'll see what happens. Right now, it's a warm 40F, but the temps will be plunging into the 20s later.
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 10:53:15 pm »
Yes, all is fixed now. Our computer technician did a good job installing a new unit. The bore driller arrived yesterday and pulled our bore, installed a new pump (120 feet down) and now we can pump water again.
So things are working again.(Except the TV - so I can't watch the test cricket v India yet).
Now we need to talk to the insurance company.

Thank you all for your good wishes.
There are nice people on this forum.  :-*

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 11:30:15 am »
 :)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline JTL

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 01:47:40 am »
Oh my goodness! Glad that you were not injured and you have insurance for the things damaged or destroyed.  So your water supply is from your own well?

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 06:48:07 am »
So your water supply is from your own well?

Well yes, (!) but we don't call them wells. They are bores. Ours has a six-inch (in old measures) bore casing which extends down 120 feet into an underground aquafer. There is a submersible pump on the bottom of the line. This pumps water up into a holding tank near the house and the water is fed to the house system via a pressure pump.  Everyone in our rural area has bore water because there is no town supply this far out. The people in town have a reticulated supply from a weir in the hills.
I think people in cities often take water supply for granted. They turn the tap on and water comes out.
And I wonder why Jack and Jill went UP the hill to fetch a pail of water. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the well at the bottom of the hill?

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 11:55:13 am »
I've lived where we had wells/bores for our water supply as well as in the city where the water comes from reservoirs. The best water I ever had, though, was spring water which was gravity fed from up on a steep hill on the farm where I lived as a kid.  We had no pumps. Someone had found the spring, set in piping to catch and carry the water down the hill to the house and barn far below.  The water tasted pure and sweet (not sugary).  We only had issues when there was an extreme drought and we used water faster than the spring could replenish itself.  My folks used rain barrels to catch water for non-drinking purposes, but in a drought, those weren't much good.
Bertha