Author Topic: Soap  (Read 1584 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
Soap
« on: May 02, 2018, 03:35:51 pm »
Many years ago, some New Zealanders sailed into Port Townsend, and came to visit Hasse’s sail loft. They proved to be knowledgeable voyagers, full of useful information, even though their accent was a bit opaque to local ears. One of their suggestions was for a brand of soap that they had found to be excellent for getting stains out of Dacron sails. The sailmakers thought this was great, and one of them asked the Kiwis if the soap was good for anything else.

“Oh, yiss,” one of them said, “You kin also wash yer dicks with it.”

There was a moment of stunned silence, and then everyone except the puzzled visitors fell to the floor laughing. When they finally got their breath, they explained the misunderstanding, at which point the other Kiwi carefully said, “Oh, no, we mean it is really good on wood.” At which point everyone fell down laughing, again. Two nations, divided by a common language.

Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
Re: Soap
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 12:02:41 pm »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 12:04:22 pm »
Gotta love those New Zealanders. They like their fush and chups too.

I have a chalkboard in my blacksmith forge at my workplace and we write the word 'blacksmith' in the languages of the people who visit. For example - French - le forgeron, German- der schmied etc.

I have added the New Zealander - blicksmuth. A lot of folks get a laugh out of it - even the Kiwis.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 06:24:59 pm »
 :)
Best wishes,

Duncan