Author Topic: Dowton Abbey  (Read 4967 times)

Gene

Dowton Abbey
« on: January 06, 2014, 04:23:37 pm »
I viewed the new Downton Abbey last night and was disappointed in same. It didn't have the intrigue of previous episodes. Perhaps will get better as the new story line develops. Hope so. I loved the others................................GG

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
Re: Dowton Abbey
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 01:05:58 am »
Gene, while nothing was really resolved on last night's opening season 4 episode, I can see several strands of intrigue:

1. the building conflict between Lady Mary and her father Lord Grantham, who will butt heads over the running of Downton Abbey
2. why did Miss O'Brien leave without any prior fuss?  Something is up with that, I think.
3. what will happen with Edith?  She's quite smitten with her currently married beau, but is she willing to leave Downton Abbey, England, and her family to go live in Germany where he finds out he can get a divorce from his insane wife?
4. What will happen with Anna and Bates?  I know a little advance information but won't give it away yet.  It's not good, though.
5. What will Branson do now?  Will he and Lady Mary become a couple, since both of their spouses are deceased, but they both share a great interest in Downton Abbey?
6. Will there be a budding romance between Mrs. Hughes and Carson? 
7.  What will happen with the Dowager Countess of Grantham?  Will she and Isobel Crawley ever become friends?
8. Will Dr. Clarkson finally be caught in some of bad medical decisions?  It seems he is often wrong in his diagnosis or treatment--think of Sybil and Matthew.

Those are things that will keep me watching!
Bertha

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:29:49 am »
Oi! Don't spoil it for the rest of us who don't get it till later!  :-X
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 12:55:40 pm »
I was not providing any spoilers, nor would I, if I knew. 
Bertha

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 02:42:23 pm »
Here in England (not sure why Duncan hasn't seen it, unless he is just commenting on behalf of others) Series 4 finished last autumn, plus a two-hour special on Christmas Day (set in the summer - why?). I felt that the first two and a half episodes were better than previous series, and reviews in the press said much the same. However, at the start of the third episode, an announcement was made: "this programme contains scenes of a violent nature which some viewers may find distressing." This is the standard announcement made before any programme that has violence, and there is a similar one warning of scenes of a sexual nature. I have never heard either announcement before "Downton Abbey" however, until this one. The storyline was one that I felt could have been avoided. However, it was eventually resolved, in a manner of speaking...or was it?
David

Gene

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 04:10:55 pm »
Bertha:

As usual, the school marm is right.

Since the program didn't hit me between the eyes and knock me for a loop.......as it did in previous episodes, I jumped to the conclusion it wasn't too exciting. After reading your comments, I see I was wrong. I also am now looking forward to viewing future episodes with gusto...............................................GG :-[

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 05:18:34 pm »
Here in England (not sure why Duncan hasn't seen it, unless he is just commenting on behalf of others) Series 4 finished last autumn, plus a two-hour special on Christmas Day (set in the summer - why?). I felt that the first two and a half episodes were better than previous series, and reviews in the press said much the same. However, at the start of the third episode, an announcement was made: "this programme contains scenes of a violent nature which some viewers may find distressing." This is the standard announcement made before any programme that has violence, and there is a similar one warning of scenes of a sexual nature. I have never heard either announcement before "Downton Abbey" however, until this one. The storyline was one that I felt could have been avoided. However, it was eventually resolved, in a manner of speaking...or was it?

I think the writer and producers of the show probably felt they needed to include such a storyline; although there has been some sex already--I always find it rather disturbing that rape is still considered sexual in nature, when it really has nothing to do with being sexual except the way the rapist uses it in the act of raping.  Don't get me started on this. 
Bertha