Author Topic: Unknown standing object  (Read 5863 times)

Offline JTL

Unknown standing object
« on: January 01, 2014, 05:58:31 pm »
Can somebody who knows please tell me what is that piece of furniture for at the end of the bed?  Is it for sitting?  Why do you sit there?

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: Unknown standing object
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:46:20 pm »
Doesn't seem to serve much purpose there. Wouldn't be used to sit on, as you may as well sit on the bed. Maybe they are a bit cramped for room in the bedroom and had nowhere else to put it. Or perhaps it's to put out your clothes for the following day.

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 10:50:42 pm »
I have never had a bedroom large enough to accommodate a bench, and I suspect they are pretty upscale. I have seen them in big, fancy homes--I've been in a few when I went to estate sales.  Here are a whole lot of models: http://www.homedecorators.com/S/bedroom_bench/
Bertha

Offline JTL

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 01:42:41 am »
I can think of a time when you may have visitors in your bedroom, and therefore the bedroom bench may be useful:
In the one month after you (or your wife) have given birth to a baby.  Your close friends and relatives may come to see you and the baby in your bedroom. 

Gene

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 01:45:06 am »
Gisele had a brass rod affair that slid between the mattress and bed frame. She pulled it out which took the place of that pretty bench you see; then placed the bed spread, covers etc on it when changing the sheets. It served a handy purpose. Since that bedroom is upscale, it follows that instead of a rod affair, the pretty bench would be more in tune with the basic motif.............................................GG

Offline JTL

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 02:20:12 am »
Gene, what you described sounds like a very reasonable use for that thing.  I think that must be the intended purpose for it. 

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 09:20:01 am »
I would call it a bench, and I would think it is used for sitting. When we got a new mattress, it specifically said not to sit on the edge of the bed as it would damage the mattress as your weight would be uneven on the very edge of the mattress. So the bench in the photo would avoid that problem. (I sit on the edge of the mattress sometimes to pull on a pair of socks, for example.)
David

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 04:43:51 pm »
When we got a new mattress, it specifically said not to sit on the edge of the bed as it would damage the mattress as your weight would be uneven on the very edge of the mattress.

How do you get in then? Do you jump?  ;D   ;D   ;D

As for the bench: I think it is quite handy, e.g.

• to stop the covers from sliding down
  • to keep an extra cover at hand in case it gets too cold
  • to put your clothes on in the evening
  • for the cat to sit on when he gets told off for invading the pillow
  ::)
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 02:45:25 pm »
To get in, yes, you sit on the bed, but only momentarily. Or, you jump from a distance and land in the middle!  ;)
David