Author Topic: My English is very poor  (Read 2176 times)

Offline JTL

My English is very poor
« on: January 17, 2018, 04:44:49 am »
Let me admit it, my English is very poor. Yesterday I came across a meaningful Chinese sentence and I attempted to translate it to English.  I spent much time googling back and forth until my cup of mocha got accidentally pushed over the desk edge and smashed to smithereens on the hard floor.  I couldn't walk away immediately as everywhere my feet could reach, there were pieces of glass.  So I remained seated in my chair and glided the whole chair along my long desk till I had safe ground to stand up.  It was a frustrating scene on the floor, dark coffee against pale tiles, and hundreds of glass bits. I knew what to do though: I went out to my garden and checked my crops.  My agriculture.  Oh, why not, I already said that my English is poor.  I warned myself that I had already taken my shower for the day and I shouldn't meddle with the soil so much as to necessitate another shower later. More shower more laundry to do and another frustrating floor scene came to mind, which was the pile of dirty clothes in my room, as high as..... the great grandchild of Kilimanjaro.  One hour later I was drenched in sweat. All the sweet potato shoots were gotten rid of -- who asked them to become wormy? Finally I washed my hands and feet thoroughly to come back into the house.  The mess on the floor was still there, except that the coffee had hardened.  By the time I had cleaned up the place with a lot of wet tissue and taken my second shower, everybody else was half way into dinner. 

This morning upon launching my computer browser, I saw my google results from yesterday.  Definition of impregnate, difference between pregnate and impregnate,  define bleak, define bare trees and a whole lot of such searches.  It is a new day and a new cup of coffee, and I am still thinking of that sentence I failed to translate.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
Re: My English is very poor
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:57:42 pm »
:(
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline t k

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 02:33:29 am »
Your post, JTL, reminds me of several passages in novels that seem to wander about and come back repeatedly.  You should, maybe, write a novel.

It also made me think of the pieces of glass rolled over by the castors, the noise they made, and whether the castors are now free of them.  --- tk

Offline JTL

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 04:30:57 am »
TK, my chair doesn't have rollers but it is easy to glide it on the smooth tiled floor especially when the floor is wet.  Here is what it looks like:

As for writing a novel.... if I could, I would!