Author Topic: Happy New Year 2014  (Read 8632 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
Re: Happy New Year 2014
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 03:26:27 pm »
I was bitten once by a tiny spider on the Kenya coast - in bed with a fever for two days  :(
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 01:07:45 am »
Mosquitos carry West Nile virus, which can be a fatal illness to many. 
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 01:12:00 pm »

As for all the horrendous creatures in Australia - is the reputation worse than reality? It seems, from all that I read, that between spiders, toads, snakes, to say nothing of box jellyfish, that you are lucky to survive! Is it really that bad?

Yes, the reputation is worse than reality. It seems that the media, both here and internationally, like to sensationalise incidents which happen here. For example, shark attacks are rare, but from the news reports, it sounds like they occur all the time. I have spent a lot of time in the surf in my younger days and I've never even seen a shark. Sure we have some pretty nasty snakes, but most are shy and do not deliberately attack people. I have been bitten once, and that was my fault. I should not have tried to catch it.
I have seen many crocodiles, but if you don't place yourself in a dangerous situation there is no problem. Common sense needs to prevail. You don't clean your fish at the edge of a northern river.
I saw recently a TV documentary about cassowaries - 'the most dangerous bird in the world'. I live in cassowary country and have seen them only on rare occasions. Unless you deliberately harass them or come between mother and chicks you have nothing to fear. Again, common sense.
Seems to me that overseas visitors would do better to be aware of our weather, climatic and geographic conditions than worrying about spiders and snakes. So many do not understand the immense distances here or the extremes of climate. You get the visitor from Japan who looks at a map and thinks he's going to pedal his bicycle  from Birdsville to Alice in a couple of days with a few meusli bars and a bottle of water. No wonder they perish.
And our beach conditions are unpredictable - 'swim between the flags' is there for a reason.
It's a wonder anyone visits Australia with the bad press we get at times!

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 02:44:05 pm »
It sounds like Australia in the press is not dissimilar to airplane flights: you read about the one that crashes, not the thousands that land safely!
David

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 09:43:24 pm »
It sounds like Australia in the press is not dissimilar to airplane flights: you read about the one that crashes, not the thousands that land safely!

Exactly.  It's what makes 'news'.