Author Topic: Happy New Year 2014  (Read 8629 times)

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
Happy New Year 2014
« on: December 31, 2013, 02:15:10 pm »
Bertha

Gene

Re: Happy New Year 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 06:23:50 pm »
WOW!!!!!............................................GG

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:23:58 am »
Where was everyone on New Year's Eve?

My wife and I went with a friend to London where we saw an excellent play: "The Duck House." It was a political satire on the scandal of Members of Parliament and their ridiculous expense claims: for example, the MP for Gosport claimed for a duck house in his garden pond. Unfortunately, the play would not go over at all well outside of Britain, as you would need detailed knowledge of our MPs. At the end of the show, after the actors had taken their bows, they asked the audience to sing "Auld Lang Syne". We all stood, linked hands, and sang - it was a great "feel good" feeling.

We then left the theatre (about 10pm) and found ourselves in a massive crowd. Huge signs said the fireworks viewing areas were full, so we followed the crowd in the other direction (along The Strand and into Fleet Street) and then down to the Victoria Embankment. We had a good view of the fireworks launched from a barge in the Thames. Although the fireworks were good, they only lasted 10 minutes.
David

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 12:09:26 pm »
Our new year's eve was spent at a small town called Malanda, half an hour or so east of us. They put on a New Year dance every year and we usually attend. Mostly new vogue/ballroom dances. No fireworks or anything - just Auld Lang Syne and lots of good wishes.
It was a bit sad for us, as my wife's favorite cat had died from snakebite just moments before we were due to leave. A little ragdoll cat we have had for 14 years - understandably, she was very upset.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 04:59:20 pm »
 :'(
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 12:47:07 pm »
Darryl,

Sorry to hear you've lost your cat, especially under those circumstances. 
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 09:53:49 am »
Yes, it was a dear little thing. We run a constant risk with pets here - snakes and ticks being the main killers. Toads too. They use up their nine lives pretty quickly.

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 12:21:05 pm »
The main enemies of cats in my neighborhood are automobiles and dogs probably.  My cats are strictly housecats and never go out roaming. 
Bertha

Gene

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 03:26:51 pm »
snakes and ticks being the main killers. Toads too

Darryl:

How do toads do it?......................................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 10:04:56 pm »
Marine toads (Bufo marinus) were introduced into Australia from Hawaii to combat the sugar cane beetle back in the 1930s. They multiplied rapidly and have now invaded most of mainland Australia. (I think Tassie is exempt).
They are highly toxic, secreting a white poisonous substance from glands on their backs. Any animal coming in contact with them suffers from the toxicity, and many native animals, especially those that prey on frogs, have fallen victim. Studies reveal that some birds of prey have figured out that if they turn the toads over and eat only the underside, they are safe.
The toxin can find its way into pets' water dishes, contaminating the water. Toads are a real scourge. We freeze hundreds of them.
More info at
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Cane-Toad

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 11:02:48 pm »
So, in reply to Gene's question, I suppose the answer is: very carefully  ;)
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline JTL

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 03:19:45 am »
Darryl, I think you Australian people have to be careful with these snakes, toads and so on.  When I was in Perth, my niece kept telling me how often spiders will come into their house, and there are all kinds of them.  They are very afraid of them. 

JTL

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 04:07:26 am »
  When I was in Perth, my niece kept telling me how often spiders will come into their house, and there are all kinds of them.  They are very afraid of them. 

JTL

Spiders! Some rather large, hairy, nasty looking dudes but only two species to worry about. The ubiquitous redback (a relative of the black widow) and the Sydney Funnelweb which, fortunately, does not extend itself this far north.
There is some concern over a White-tailed spider which supposedly causes necrotic lesions (perhaps like the American Recluse) but the jury is still out on that one.

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 12:27:24 pm »
It seems that in almost every part of the world there are toxic or dangerous creatures.  The Bufo toads are found in southern Florida, too, along with all the other critters that are dangerous to pets.  I've heard from a friend whose dog tangled with a Bufo toad that the secreted poison made the dog's mouth swell to unimaginable proportions, but with quick treatment, it survived.  Here in OK, we have snakes (not too often in the city), coyotes, and bobcats. In the city, also, we have plenty of spiders--some years too many and lots of reports of spider bites.  The worst pest is the mosquito, which carries all sorts of diseases.  For animals, mosquitoes cause heartworms for which there is no real cure, although there is prevention through vaccination.
Bertha

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 12:50:31 pm »
Darryl, I'm very sorry to hear about your cat. We have two, who are 13 years old, and will miss them dearly when they go.

As for all the horrendous creatures in Australia - is the reputation worse than reality? It seems, from all that I read, that between spiders, toads, snakes, to say nothing of box jellyfish, that you are lucky to survive! Is it really that bad?

The only thing that has ever attacked me (40 yrs in the US, 16 in the UK) have been minor things like mosquitoes (minor because they don't have malaria in these countries!), bees, wasps, etc., and the last two have been very few and far between.
David