Author Topic: a holiday too long?  (Read 2147 times)

Offline t k

a holiday too long?
« on: October 07, 2017, 04:11:07 am »
I thought a holiday cannot be too long, but I feel otherwise.  We are having three national holidays in a row, National foundation day (Oct 3), Chuseok (Oct 4, full moon's day of harvest), and Hangeul (or Hangul) day (Oct 9, proclamation day of Koran alphabet and writing system), and together with two more days always going with Chuseok and Oct 2 being thrown in by the government, we're on a holiday of 10 days.  The accident is due to Chuseok that comes on a different day every year according to the lunar calendar.  Seems too long but naturally ambivalent toward the end.  I wonder if it is not a world record.  --- tk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: a holiday too long?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 08:12:01 am »
Wow, not too often anyone complains about holidays being too long! I guess that is a lot all in one hit.
We have a bit of a saga going on here with holidays. The day after tomorrow (Monday Oct 9) is the Queen's birthday holiday in Queensland. (The Queen was actually born on April 21st.) It used to be celebrated on the second weekend of June, but a couple of elections ago the then Labor Government changed it to October. A subsequent Liberal/National Government changed it back to June and then the present Government (Labor) made it October again. No doubt if Miss Palaszczuk is defeated at the election early next year the new premier will shift it back to June. Revolving door holidays around here.

Offline t k

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 03:08:46 am »
Darryl ---  Interesting politics on holidays.  Could you enlighten me on the reasons behind moving the holiday either to June or to October when the real day to celebrate is in April?  --- tk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 11:32:05 am »
I don't know why it isn't celebrated closer to the actual date. What happens in Britain, Duncan?
I do know that a lot of the shifting here involves the holiday for Labor Day which one Government moved because it was too close to the QB Holiday. The Labor Govt objected and moved it back. Petty stuff really; they should just get on with running the state.

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 02:31:15 pm »
First Monday in May
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 12:08:57 pm »
If I may correct you, Duncan, I believe the Queen's "official" birthday is in June, on the occasion of "Trooping the Colour".

http://www.trooping-the-colour.co.uk/

The first Monday in May is "May Bank Holiday" and the last Monday in May is "Spring Bank Holiday" although in my opinion, the names should be the other way round, as the end of May is very near to the start of meteorological summer on the first of June.

Further to many holidays in a row, I believe Japan has something similar to Korea, only in the month of May.

Several years ago, here in Britain, we had two four-day weekends in a row, due to Easter being exceptionally late, the wedding of Prince William and Kate (made an official Bank Holiday for that year only) followed by the May Bank Holiday. So we had a four-day weekend (Good Friday through Easter Monday), three working days, and another four-day weekend (the Friday wedding through the May Bank Holiday on Monday).
David