Author Topic: SEASON'S GREETINGS  (Read 9721 times)

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
Re: SEASON'S GREETINGS
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 12:24:26 pm »
Glutinous rice?? I thought rice was gluten free. Or am I confusing words here?

This site might answer your question: http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfreefoodshoppin1/f/Gluten-Free-Rice.htm
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 09:54:12 pm »
Thanks. All is clear now. Glutinous refers to the sticky, gluey consistency and is nothing to do with gluten.  :D

Offline JTL

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 03:26:51 am »
I suspect that none of you westerners on this board have eaten glutinous rice before.  How interesting!   :)
Don't try to cook this unless you are good at it, or else you will give glutinous rice a bad name. 

Offline t k

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 04:27:28 am »
Don't try to cook this unless you are good at it, or else you will give glutinous rice a bad name.

That's exactly what I did, not having a proper steamer; but the result turned out just okay.  I should have used my electric rice cooker instead of improvising a steamer that can hold three bowls.  A failure giving me a new idea, I am counting on my next trial.  Please keep posting good dishes; what else that is so regular is more fun than eating?  --- tk

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 12:30:26 pm »
I suspect that none of you westerners on this board have eaten glutinous rice before.  How interesting!   :)

I ate glutinous rice in Japan--it was called sticky rice though.  I have had it since, too, because the ESL students have a luncheon each semester, and sometimes someone brings sticky rice. I don't know if it's homemade or from a restaurant, though. 
Bertha

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 12:51:10 pm »
Ah - sticky rice - now I understand! That is the key to eating rice with chopsticks!
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 03:25:32 pm »
 ;)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk