Author Topic: nocturnal invader  (Read 5234 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
nocturnal invader
« on: December 21, 2013, 11:12:47 am »
This possum decided that my pawpaws were much to its liking. Known as a coppery brushtail, it's a rainforest dweller, endemic to the highlands of my area.
For something the size of an overgrown cat, its stomping across my roof at night sounds like a herd of elephants.
Still, I like 'em.

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
Re: nocturnal invader
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 12:52:49 pm »
Beautiful color!
Bertha

Gene

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 03:55:04 pm »
Darryl:

How in the world did you ever get to take that flash?............................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 10:37:13 pm »
Darryl:

How in the world did you ever get to take that flash?............................GG

Not too difficult with a telephoto lens and a strong flash unit. The pawpaw tree is about 5 or 6 metres tall, but it grows alongside my verandah. I could have got a closer shot by climbing on the roof, but not a good idea in the pitch darkness. And when a possum is up a tree like that, you have a captive subject. They just stay still and look at you.
We have taken a lot of possum pics over the years, from the tiny mouse-sized feathertails (my favourites) to the large greater gliders which frequent the tops of the highest gum trees.
We are fortunate to have such a diverse range of possums in this area of Queensland. We also have two species of tree kangaroo and I would like to try photographing them, but they are a lot harder to track down and very active.

Gene

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 02:01:35 am »
Darryl:

Your last message sounds like you are living in a different universe. In LA we have to go to the zoo in order to see a possum.  You sound like a frontiersman living right out at the edge of civilization.............................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 10:05:53 pm »
Darryl:

Your last message sounds like you are living in a different universe. In LA we have to go to the zoo in order to see a possum.  You sound like a frontiersman living right out at the edge of civilization.............................GG

Ah'll just grab ma musket and go shoot me some critters.  :D

Offline urban yokel

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 05:48:36 pm »
You don't have to live like a mountain man to encounter opossum (possum) in LA.  This only marsupial in North America is found in areas like California and most western states. They may not be plentiful like the east coast and the midwest.

One reason they don't propagate easily is due to predators like barn owls and falcons. These predators' aerial attack keeps this prey from venturing out into the open. Other predators on the ground like coyotes, bobcats,rattlesnakes and even pumas prey on this animal too.

I live in the suburbs of LA and they become a nuisance (and destructive) esp if you have a vegetable patch because they eat almost anything including garbage and carrion.

I have installed a very effective (and humane) solution to keep them out of my wife's garden: an automatic sprinkler with radar-like sensors and electrified grid to keep them away from the roof.