Author Topic: What's on?  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
What's on?
« on: December 19, 2013, 10:30:38 pm »
So, Christmas is just around the corner. What's on at your place for the festive season?

Gene

Re: What's on?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 12:26:18 am »
Darryl:

Thank you for breaking the ice.

Twenty extended family members are coming over for Xmas. My only job is to host the house. The women are once again cooking all the food. I think they enjoy gossiping together while working. They planned a menu of roast turkey, honey baked ham and roast beef.....with all the assorted vegetables, desserts and liquid refreshments. Since my local baker makes a fabulous strawberry cream pie, I think I'll get a couple of them as my added contribution.

After last Thanksgiving Day dinner, we had a ton of food left over. The ladies took about two dozen tupper-ware plastic containers and prepared individual dinners for me which I immediately stuck in my freezer. I have been dining on them for the past three weeks. Life is beautiful...........................Merry Christmas to you and Judy....................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 05:25:14 am »
Christmas in Australia is usually an outdoor affair for many families. Backyard cricket (six and out, catch one handed off the bounce, no lbw etc etc), poolside barbecues, beer and prawns on the beach, that sort of stuff.
I don't really fit the mould; no kids at home now for cricket, don't have a pool any more, long way to the beach, I don't drink beer and hate prawns.
So Christmas at my place will be a quiet affair - cold lunch on the veranda, friends calling by. Boxing Day is good - air conditioning, TV on, Australia v England at the MCG, all good.
One thing is guaranteed - Christmas here is hot. I feel sorry for the big man in red in the supermarkets - definitely a good way to lose weight.
And I don't know why, but we Australians persist with the same old Christmas cards with snowmen, holly, robins and sleighbells in the snow. I guess Santa wouldn't look right riding a ute, wearing thongs and a Jackie Howe, carrying a stubby with an Akubra on his head.
Wonder if anyone has heard the Rolf Harris song 'Six White Boomers'?
Or better still, have a listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9NhL3agUaw

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 11:26:06 am »
Darryl's link went to an Australian Jingle Bells, which was cute. Here's the one of "Six White Boomers": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FdVXca9hys&feature=share&list=RDS9NhL3agUaw&index=2
Bertha

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 11:41:19 am »
As for our Christmas, it's pretty quiet.  I manage to get up a few decorations now, but I don't do much since I just finished up a fall semester and feel rather tired out.  We don't put up a big tree anymore, since that is a cat attractor.  Two of my cats probably wouldn't notice now, since they are older, but the "kitten" who is about 1 1/2 surely would. He would be climbing it and knocking decorations around and stuff.  So, you'd almost never guess we celebrate at all. Even so, I'll get things around and make a small pile of gifts under the table where I do put up a display of snow people. 

My daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter will be over on Christmas Eve. They bring Chinese takeout for dinner, we open gifts, and visit.   It's always fun to get together, as they don't visit often, even though they are only 25 miles away.  We talk on the phone, but all have busy lives with work, etc.  My granddaughter is 22, so no little kid.  On Christmas Day, I will cook a ham, sweet potatoes, and the other fixings, but it will be just Guy and I for dinner.  This year, too, we have decided to do something different. Instead of spending a lot on something "big" for each other, we have made donations to some worthwhile charities.  We have a Second Chance shelter for animals who need a home, and they will receive a donation. The other place is Habitat for Humanity Oklahoma. While it's part of the larger international organization, the money is used to help build homes for low income families here in Oklahoma.  Habitat has a system to select families who are willing to help build their own home and/or provide "sweat equity" in helping build homes for others.  Former President Jimmy Carter was active in one large project and helped bring the organization to the fore.  If you've never heard of its work, check this: http://www.habitat.org/how/historytext.aspx.

Merry Christmas!
Bertha