Author Topic: misuse of "it" (poor writing style)  (Read 2122 times)

Offline bookworm

misuse of "it" (poor writing style)
« on: June 19, 2017, 11:40:45 am »
I've learned somewhere that you have to avoid using it if it is far from the referent, as this is considered poor writing style. I believe the context is clear, but I'm not sure if this recommendation applies here since the verb pour can only apply to water, and not to the noise, bowl, or window. Here is the text:

Jane was sleeping in the second floor of her two-story house. She was awakened in the middle of the night by a man playing the guitar outside her house. Since she was unable to sleep because of the noise, she took a big bowl of water, opened the window, and poured it on the guitarist so he would stop playing.

For some reason, I don't want to mention water twice here:

Since she was unable to sleep because of the noise, she took a big bowl of water, opened the window, and poured the water on the guitarist so he would stop playing.

Do you see anything wrong with the first sentence where it is used instead of water?
English is my second language.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: misuse of "it" (poor writing style)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 11:53:29 am »
I see nothing wrong with the original sentence. The context makes it clear what is happening and the repetition is avoided.

Offline Jaoutant

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 09:19:40 am »
I just knew it was this. If anyone has a question I can answer it. Maybe I will know some things.

Offline Teanitly

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 11:27:06 am »
I really like these things. Always trying to find information but didn't find the answer