Author Topic: Let's talk about travel  (Read 10767 times)

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
Re: Let's talk about travel
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 11:44:24 am »
In the Far East, TK's maple is native but now it's grown in many parts of the world.  It's Acer palmatum, called Japanese maple or smooth Japanese-maple.  Lots more information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_palmatum.  They don't usually grow as big as the sugar maple (Acer saccharum) found across Canada and the northern parts of the U.S.  In New York State where I grew up, sugar maples were everywhere and people who had a "sugar bush"--a stand of sugar maples--were very proud of it. Sugar maples are the trees tapped for their sap to be made into maple syrup and sugar.  Both kinds of maples produce vibrant colors in the autumn.
Bertha

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 12:16:46 pm »
We have mostly browns - dark brown, light brown and pale yellow. You do see some of the reds you have shown, but only in private gardens where people plant exotic trees. Our native trees are rather dull in comparison.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 12:41:35 pm »
Back to long trips, as I didn't get a chance to reply to Duncan's trip to Yemen - that sounds fascinating! A pity that it could not be done today, with all the warfare in the Middle East. I am sure it was a trip to remember forever!
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world