Author Topic: Let's talk about travel  (Read 11601 times)

Offline JTL

Re: Let's talk about travel
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 10:56:28 am »
Thank you all again for the nice sharing!  Having never heard of Kilimanjaro, I of course searched for a video and found this very well made documentary:

https://youtu.be/6lDGmCLify4

It is beautiful!  It makes me wanting for more such videos and here I go.... searching for more!

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 11:53:23 am »

Darryl, I think you mean Narita International Airport which serves Tokyo as an entry point.  I flew into Haneda International Airport, which is closer to Yokohama, but also served Tokyo, since Narita had not yet be built.  It was in the planning stages in the 1960s but wasn't opened until sometime in the 1970s.

Yes, Narita. I should have looked it up rather than trust my memory.  ::)

Offline t k

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 05:25:35 am »
If one looks for beautiful scenes in traveling, here is a different direction to travel.  --- tk

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-nikon-small-world-contest-20161019-snap-htmlstory.html

Offline JTL

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 06:32:36 am »
Hi TK!  Are you attempting to hijack the thread?   ;)

Offline t k

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 08:53:26 am »
Not really.  Sorry, if I have disturbed the thread.  --- tk

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 09:08:42 am »
 8)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline JTL

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 02:20:07 pm »
TK, I was joking, of course.  Let's lighten up with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji65WI5QLZI

Offline t k

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2016, 02:57:13 am »
JTL ---  I had noticed your "wink", but now you really made me have derailed the tread. :)  --- tk

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 01:09:38 pm »
My longest trip was by train: I left Siracusa, Sicily, Italy on a Sunday evening about 8pm and arrived in Madrid at noon on Wednesday. That included overnight train to Rome, a few hours there, overnight train to Paris, a few hours there, and overnight train to Madrid. That trip had a few interesting points: they put the train in the "hold"of the boat to cross from Sicily to the mainland: they uncoupled the carriages and put them on sort of side by side. I was travelling with my then-fiancée (now wife) who was returning to England after teaching EFL in Sicily. We treated ourselves to a first-class metro trip across Paris - I don't think they still have first class in the Paris metro, I'll try and remember to find out next month when I'm there. I put her on the train for England, and then took the metro to the other side of Paris for my trip to Spain. There was going to be a general strike starting at midnight so I was hoping the train would make it out of France in time as we were told the trains would stop wherever they happened to be when midnight arrived. There was a power cut in Paris as a precursor to the strike: when I was buying my sleeping compartment ticket fortunately they didn't need electricity - unlike today! I remember hearing workers chanting as the train stopped in Bordeaux around 10pm, and fortunately we crossed the border into Spain before midnight. The train crew spoke French on the part of the journey within France; the same crew spoke Spanish after we'd crossed into Spain. I was meeting a group of fellow American students in Madrid for a six-week study programme, and was very glad to have a shower at the youth hostel where we were being housed after my very long train journey.
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 01:47:19 pm »
What a great trip.

Our longest was in 1983 when we drove an old Land Rover out to Yemen.

Our eldest was 7 and the twins were 18 months. We drove down through France and Switzerland to Venice. We then caught the ferry to Piraeus and then on to Alexandria. We drove up to Cairo and then to Suez. From there, a ferry to Jeddah then we drive down the coast to Hoddeidah and then up the mountains to Sana'a.

Wonderful :)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline t k

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 08:31:48 am »
For those whose neck of the woods knows no fall colors.  --- tk

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 12:02:17 pm »
Beautiful fall color, TK!  We have continued to be pretty warm until just the last couple of days, so our fall color hasn't arrived yet.  I always have to pay attention because it may last only a couple of days when the trees do change because we also have a lot of wind at times. 
Bertha

Offline JTL

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 03:02:05 pm »
For those whose neck of the woods knows no fall colors.  --- tk

On this forum this would be poor me alone; everyone else has got autumns in their life. These foliage shots are beautiful now that I see them from my rather big computer screen!  Thank you TK!

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2016, 12:37:18 pm »
WE don't have autumn colours here either, JTL. We'll not in the tropical north of Australia. They do have scenes similar to TK's pics in the south - especially Canberra which is quite spectacular.
We are coming into summer here now and spring is usually very dry ... the trees are looking a bit stressed and there are leaves and bark pieces everywhere. Eucalypts are a bit messy like that. Things will green up when the storms come and then our monsoon season from December through to April. B.O.M. is predicting a heavier than usual wet season with 10 - 12 cyclones in our area. We shall see.
And nice pics, TK. Are they maple trees??

Offline t k

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 03:47:24 am »
Yes, Darryl, they are, but the leaves are different from that in the Canadian flag.  The second of the below is what we have here.  They come with 5, 7(in the photo), 9, and 11 points, I've observed.  --- tk