Author Topic: Returned  (Read 10113 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Returned
« on: October 01, 2016, 01:05:43 pm »
Back home again after a couple of weeks away. Things didn't go quite to plan with some unexpected rainfall in the west of NSW causing massive flooding.
We flew to Brisbane and drove into NSW to attend the graduation of our daughter-in-law from Southern Cross Uni at Lismore. She can now put the letters MBA after her name. Master of Business Accounting. We are very proud of her - ten years of part time study while holding a full time job ... quite an achievement.
The next part of our trip was to be inland NSW to Gilgandra and then on to Canberra the next day. The area had received massive rainfall so we thought better of it and took the coastal route via the freeways and through Sydney. Horrific traffic. Makes one appreciate the country life where our nearest traffic light is 100 km away. We would have taken on the inland route in our Toyota Landcruiser, but in a wimpy Hyundai hire car that doesn't like getting its ankles wet, it wasn't worth the risk.
Anyway after two days drive we reached Canberra. I know Canberra quite well after many trips there with school kids - the National Capital and all - but Judy had never been there and it was good to visit places without worrying about what 20 primary school kids were up to. Had a look at Parliament House and the Australian War Memorial - a very sombre place. Emotional.
Went to the National Museum, the Mint and the National Zoo, where Judy patted a cheetah. Something she has always wanted to do.
Flew back yesterday - midday in Canberra and Cairns by 4.30. Would have taken four days to drive but just a few hours in a 767. The flooding down south had stuffed up the network a bit though and we had a hurried transfer in Brisbane. Our luggage didn't make the transfer and it was delivered by Qantas courier today.
So we're back home after an interesting few days. Makes you appreciate what a massive country this is.

Gene

Re: Returned
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 02:50:20 am »
Darryl:

The entire adventure sounds marvelous................................GG

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 11:17:56 am »
Sounds like a great trip!  Congratulations to your daughter-in-law, too!
Bertha

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 11:44:37 am »
A big country indeed. I am glad you enjoyed your trip so much.
Congratulations on the MBA - is that a MBA Master in Business Accounting or Administration? It would be the latter in the UK.
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline JTL

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 12:11:13 pm »
What is the opposite of returned? I am at the Singapore airport, on transit to New Zealand.

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 01:12:07 pm »
Arrived? Arriving?
Escaping ;)
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 10:29:21 pm »
Congratulations on the MBA - is that a MBA Master in Business Accounting or Administration? It would be the latter in the UK.
Master of Business Accounting. She has worked as a financial manager for a motor company for many years and hopes one day to have her own car dealership.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 10:33:05 pm »
What is the opposite of returned? I am at the Singapore airport, on transit to New Zealand.

Leaving? Departed?
A holiday in NZ, JTL? What do you intend to see there. I remember Roturua well ... creepy place. Steam coming out of the gutters. I believe Milford Sound is spectacular.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 12:32:24 pm »

I found that Australian universities offer both Masters in Business Administration and Masters in Business (Accounting) [sic].  Here is an explanation: http://www.topaccountingdegrees.org/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-a-masters-of-accounting-and-an-mba-in-accounting/
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 11:19:46 pm »
Not sure about the exact wording, other than MBA.
But here she is with the important document:

Gene

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 02:32:30 am »
Darryl:

Mighty fine specimen of  Australian womanhood. You should be proud of her............................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 05:13:37 am »
Thanks, Gene. Indeed we are.

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 01:29:50 pm »
Congratulations.
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline JTL

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 01:12:19 am »

A holiday in NZ, JTL? What do you intend to see there. I remember Roturua well ... creepy place. Steam coming out of the gutters. I believe Milford Sound is spectacular.

I am returned too.  It wasn't meant to be a "holiday"; I just tried to step out of my comfort zone and take a long flight where I would not be able to avoid going to the aircraft toilet. I made it.  Three years ago when I went to Perth, I stopped drinking or eating after leaving my niece's home in KL, and was able to hold on till I reached the other niece's home in Perth. 

I didn't go to Roturua, nor did I join the optional Milford Sound cruise.  But, as my mom would have said:  Just do it for the name of it.  Now by name I have been to New Zealand!

JTL

Gene

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 01:56:43 am »
JTL:

I have been trying to introduce a thread of logic to your last posting. Do you have a phobia against aircraft toilets?.........GG