Author Topic: A Question Regarding Facebook  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Writing Skill

• Written Communication Company
A Question Regarding Facebook
« on: May 04, 2016, 08:04:52 am »
Would you want to meet in person any of the people that you have befriended on Facebook? What is the benefit of befriending so many people? People I've never corresponded with want to be my friend. Facebook is kind of scary in that regards. I do, however, like Facebook as a way to keep up with friends from my past.
I help people get results with written subject matter.
Click on my link for details regarding my website.
www.writtencommunicationcompany.com

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
Re: A Question Regarding Facebook
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 11:22:04 am »
Nobody forces you to accept friendship offers on Facebook. Many people just feel good when their number of "friends" is as high as possible. I cannot quite comprehend their reasoning, they must know that these people are not real friends, right?

Personally I know many of my FB friends in person, some I have not seen for decades but it feels good to keep in touch. Some I have not really met in person, such as Bertha and Duncan, but I feel I know them anyway. And some I "befriended" because I want to keep a tap on them (mostly authors and musicians) but they only have personal pages, no "fan pages" that you can simply "follow". It all comes down to what you make of it.
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 12:05:24 pm »
Since other than Duncan, I'm the longest user of the Lydbury forum.  I have met three people from here: Duncan (and his lovely family), Steve Campsall (and his family), and David Lloyd (and his wife).  I've stayed with these folks at their homes, visited various places of interests in their parts of England, and become friends who are treasured.  There were a few other people who came to the forum and I got to know them through private messaging or email--before the days of FB.  I would like to meet some others from the forum if I were visiting the area where they live.  One day, I'm going to Australia, for sure, so Darryl has been forewarned.

I agree with Britta that I don't quite get the need to have more and more "friends" on Facebook.  I do have many FB books, though; but I know many of them in person from my teaching career, family members, high school or college classmates, poetry friends, et al.  I go through my list occasionally and delete a "friend" here or there since they are inactive on FB.  A few people are now deceased.  A few just never communicate or they post things that I don't wish to view (I know one can hide posts without defriending someone). 

Virtual friendships can be more in depth than face-to-face friendships.  That said, I have to say that I met my current husband online, via a chatroom, too. 
Bertha

Offline davel

• Global Moderator
  • I am intolerant only of intolerance.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 01:20:40 pm »
I have only accepted one or two people as friends on Facebook with whom I had no previous interaction, but even those are always connected to someone I already know. I find Facebook to be a combination of a photo album that is constantly changing, a place to store memories of people and places from my past as well as for my future, and a way to express my views and let people know what is happening in my life. With this last point, however, I am not one of those who writes something every hour every time a small change occurs. I also am frustrated with people who post cutesie pictures time after time. If I want to know something about someone, I want to know it about them personally. I also have several Facebook friends who have died, and I occasionally look at their pages just to remember the times we shared. I feel closer to some Facebook friends whom I haven't seen in decades than I do to some friends that I see in the flesh on a regular basis - this is also true of other friends with whom I only communicate via email.
Davel,
an Anglo-American citizen of the world