Author Topic: Quandary  (Read 9508 times)

Gene

Quandary
« on: November 30, 2013, 06:21:47 pm »
I have been a widower for over a year now. When I wash clothes, I mix the whites with the coloreds and wash them all together. It worked out fine until yesterday when I put a new red shirt in the load. After finishing washing, I noticed  that the whites had become a very noticeable pink. That didn’t bother me so much except when I put on my underwear,  it looked like I had on a pair of female pink panties. To make matters worse, I had several white handkerchiefs in the wash which came out pink. Also there were two pairs of white socks that were now pink. I certainly can’t jeopardize my male macho image by wearing all these pinkies. What to do? If I give these old clothes to a charity, they would wonder what kind of a tutti-frutti sent them in. If I am taken to the emergency room, the nurses would give me a funny look.

I am in a quandary. I think I’ll just throw them all into the trash bin………………..GG

Offline t k

Re: Quandary
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:54:13 am »
Gene ---  I am sorry to hear that you are a widower.  I cheer your going strong solo.  Now I am also worried about your indulgence in beach girls.  ;)

I suggest that you find a blue something to wash with them.  Next time you go to a clothing store, wet your handkerchief and rub on some blue clothes to find candidates.  Some blue jeans might work.  --- tk

Offline Bertha

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 11:33:00 am »
If you want tidy whities, you mustn't ever add dreaded red to the laundry.  That's the first rule of doing whites.  Almost anything red will bleed the first time it's washed, too.  If you aren't man enough to wear pink, then put them in the drink.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Bertha

Gene

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 03:32:41 pm »
Bertha:

You are sooooo cute!.................................GG :)

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • In the heart of Shropshire
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 07:53:50 pm »
There is a powder you can add to the wash to make things whiter. But I don't think it will do what you want it to.  :(
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 10:39:51 pm »
Hey Gene,
Judy says before you ditch the clothes, you should try washing them again in really hot water.
There is a dye remover stuff you can buy that might be worth a try. Have a look here:
http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dyeblog/C1269722797/E2008593669/
We can't have you wearing pink undies!

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:43:25 am »
How did you get on Gene? All OK now or still wearing pink??

Gene

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 03:56:38 pm »
Darryl:

Yes, I am still wearing pink underewear. Since no one can see them, I feel pretty safe. One interesting side note: I mentioned my fiasco to some of the ladies at my senior citizens koffee klasch. They wanted me to show them. I said they would have to come to the privacy of my home where I would unveil. So far they have declined..............shucks..................GG ;)

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 06:02:19 pm »
 8)
Best wishes,

Duncan

Gene

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 06:09:39 pm »
Duncan:

There's one fiesty old broad who showed a little interest. I'm working on her. Will keep you informed of my adventures :) :) :).....................GG

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 06:17:28 pm »
Too much information  ::)
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline JTL

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 08:52:49 am »
If I give these old clothes to a charity, they would wonder what kind of a tutti-frutti sent them in. If I am taken to the emergency room, the nurses would give me a funny look.

I am in a quandary. I think I’ll just throw them all into the trash bin………………..GG

You should shred them before you throw them into the trash bin.  What would the rubbish man think of you otherwise?  :)

Gene

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 03:13:19 pm »
JTL:

You have such a cornucopia of information. Since I hold the rubbish man's opinion in such high esteem, you have convinced me to shred them. My problem now is that I don't have a shredder. With all the interesting ideas you create, what would you suggest?.......................................pinkie GG :-[

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 03:49:05 pm »
Best wishes,

Duncan

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 03:57:02 pm »
Gene: Bleach is what you want. Mix it according to the instructions on the bottle and soak the whites turned pink over night. Then wash normally with other whites.

Note that you can only do that with whites as bleach also removes the original colour.
(I tried the trick with a light blue shirt once and only soaked it partly to remove a tea stain...)
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†