Author Topic: Trump  (Read 13793 times)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: Trump
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 10:09:52 am »
I don't know how the people in America put up with such long, drawn out election campaigns.
Our Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull visited the Governor-General in Canberra today to officially dissolve both Houses of Parliament and he has called an election for July 2nd. That's just eight weeks away, and it's the longest Federal election campaign for something like 60 years. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:41:39 am by Darryl »

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 12:25:03 pm »
I don't think there has ever been one that lasted as long as this one has, and I've wondered if it wasn't done so that by the time the election day arrives in November, everyone will be so tired of it all that many people won't bother to vote.  Some of all of this, IMO, is media driven.  There are no rules as to the length of a campaign, but I think there should be.  Voting is conducted differently from state to state, too, and for federal elections, I think the entire country should do it the same way with the same ballot, the same method or machine, just like we do it the same day.  There have been many, many questionable voter problems this go round in several states--voters being purged, voters' party affiliations being changed to a different party, voters being turned away from the "wrong" polling place when they had been going to a particular place for years.  And it seems that even though investigations are done, nothing changes.  As Trump has so loudly complained, the election processed is rigged.  The public speaks out about it, but it doesn't seem to help much. 

I find it interesting that your prime minister, Darryl, can dissolve the Houses of Parliament to call for an election.  Why has that happened?
Bertha

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 03:37:01 pm »
Jimmy Carter says he would never have been elected today!
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 11:02:45 pm »

I find it interesting that your prime minister, Darryl, can dissolve the Houses of Parliament to call for an election.  Why has that happened?

The Constitution allows the Prime Minister to call a double dissolution on certain grounds. This had something to do with important bills being rejected when the House of Representatives and the Senate cannot agree on a Bill. I think the Bill involved Union corruption or something.

If the Senate rejects the Bill a second time, or fails to pass it, or passes it with amendments to which the House does not agree,
the Prime Minister is able to approach the Governor-General to seek a double dissolution of parliament. The GG is obliged to act on the recommendation of the Government and dissolve Parliament. It's not a common occurrence. The infamous 1975 double dissolution resulted in the sacking of Prime Minister Gough Whitlam.

There are a few other constitutional requirements but that is the basis of it. Some are saying that Mr Turnbull (a very shrewd politician) has engineered this to get rid of some of the rogue cross-bench Senators who found their way into Parliament on miniscule percentages of the vote at the last election. Changes have been made to the voting procedure to avoid that happening again.

Anyway, we are in for what the press are calling a 'marathon' election campaign. It's a sprint compared to the U.S. campaign.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 11:56:33 am »
I see Mr T has been endorsed by the gun lobby over there. He's big on your 2nd Amendment. The man seems to be going from strength to strength.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 11:17:28 pm »
The saga continues. I can't believe how much attention this election is getting in the Australian media. Maybe there I an attraction in its grubbiness. And how can Trump get away with saying he will accept the result of the election ... but only if he wins? That is bizarre.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 12:02:49 pm »
Okay.  Keep in mind that I see a lot of trash on Facebook.  I can't believe it sometimes what people say or post.  I keep hoping that they really don't feel that way and would never say those things if they were to do so in person, but I'm not sure anymore.  Some things are funny because they are satire or parody, but other things are just plain nasty.  Even Trump called Clinton a "nasty woman" in the final debate.  Whenever he says something and then adds "believe me," it's a red flag.  He really thinks that if he says something enough times, whether it's true or not, it's the truth, and the "believe me" repeated reinforces his words to his supporters.  I've said it more than once.  He is a con artist, snake oil salesman, sleaze, slime, sexist, racist, narcissistic wannabe.  He babbles, he snorts, he sniffles, and who knows what else.  He projects whatever he does onto others without taking responsibility for his mistakes.  I do not believe he knows how to tell the truth because he's lied so long to so many people and feels proud of it.  He could write a book titled "The Art of Deceit"--oh, wait--he already did except he titled it "Art of the Deal" but he didn't really write it. He had a ghostwriter! 

Yes, Hillary Clinton is not perfect, but she's at least prepared for the job of the presidency.  I know that she may not be well liked throughout the world, but I don't want Trump becoming more chummy with the likes of Putin, Salvini, Kim Jong Un, Farage, Mugabe, and Assad.  There are probably other leaders who support him, but perhaps these are all being cloned in the same ideologies!  Clinton poses a threat to their agendas.  She really does care about the country and its people while also seeing a bigger vision for global collaboration.  I don't agree with the isolationists and those who want to go back in time. 
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 12:43:06 pm »
Whenever he says something and then adds "believe me," it's a red flag.  He really thinks that if he says something enough times, whether it's true or not, it's the truth, and the "believe me" repeated reinforces his words to his supporters.  I've said it more than once.  He is a con artist, snake oil salesman, sleaze, slime, sexist, racist, narcissistic wannabe.  He babbles, he snorts, he sniffles, and who knows what else.

Wow! Don't hold back there, Bertha! ;D

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2016, 01:57:43 pm »
 ;D 8)
Bertha

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 12:25:57 pm »
Whenever he says something and then adds "believe me," it's a red flag. 

Whenever I hear "believe me" or "trust in me" the following image pops up in my mind :)

If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 12:42:25 pm »
Nice one, Britta. Kaa and Trump have a lot in common!  8)

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 09:01:07 pm »
Well, we all know what happened since this post last year.
Like most Australians, I value the close ties we have with America, but yesterday's phone conversation between the two leaders seemed very much out of step with that. I didn't think it would have much resonance outside Australia, but seems some Americans feel Mr T was a bit rough on our P.M. too.
http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/donald-trump-americans-apologise-on-behalf-of-their-president/ar-AAmzxdy?li=AAgfYrC
Nice to know some people still like us!

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 12:03:15 pm »
Many, perhaps even a majority of Americans love Australia and many other countries and their citizens.  Do not judge us by who our president is.  I have no use for him at all.  I have become more civically engaged by attending political meetings, even!  I've read more political stuff in the last three months than I ever thought I would do, ever!  I read one last night, which now explains a lot about what Trump is doing under the advice of his right hand man, Steve Bannon.  Many people are already saying that Bannon is really the president and Trump is just the front man.  Read the essay and see what you think: https://qz.com/898134/what-steve-bannon-really-wants/?utm_source=atlfb.  Maybe there are some kernels of truth in it about world politics, but I don't think our leaders need to push the agenda to fulfill the political philosophy that Bannon follows.  Just read it and judge for yourself, though.
Bertha