Author Topic: Trump  (Read 13935 times)

Gene

Trump
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:57:46 pm »
Darryl:

What are the people down in Oz saying about Donald Trump.  Honest now!!...............................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Far North Queensland, Australia
Re: Trump
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:46:15 pm »
Well Gene, I don't much like to comment about political things here, as there is always someone who'll have different views and may be offended.
As an outsider, I have always been a bit confused by American-style politics. Your elections seem like a long, drawn out process of primaries and it seems to me that the most vehement opposition and bitterness, at least from the Trump side, is from within the same party! I notice Mrs Clinton and the bloke who's trying to beat her to the democrat nomination don't hold back on their punches to one another either. It seems (again from the outside) that personalities play a greater part than policy in some of your leaders. If the Terminator can become Governor of California, could not an eccentric billionaire buy himself the Presidency?
But as for Mr Trump himself, I think everyone considered him a bit of a joke at first, but the fact that he's still there (and leading) is making people take him more seriously.  He does appear to have a significant 'foot in mouth' disease, and rightly or wrongly, the perception is that his comments about women, Mexican immigration, banning Muslims etc are somewhat extreme.
You ask what people here are saying about DT. Well, not much really, but there is a lot of shaking of heads and rolling of eyes in disbelief about how well he's actually doing. I am not qualified to make predictions, but from what I have seen, if it comes down to a showdown between him and Mrs C, there will be a silent group of Republicans who will not accept Mr Trump's antics and vote with the Democrats. It would not surprise me if your upcoming election (with non-compulsory voting) brings out more voters than you usually get.
I will stand corrected on any comment I made. As I said, just the observations of an outsider, Gene.

Gene

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 01:57:54 am »
Darryl:
For a small town bloke who lives out in the country, you have a better grasp of American politics than most natural born Americans. I must say you are VERY well informed. That’s the great advantage of living in a free country. Transparency!!!   Tell it how it is. Thank you for your input. You are a smart guy……………………………..GG

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Director at Lydbury English Centre Ltd
    • Lydbury English Centre Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 07:59:40 am »
 :) Much the same views held in the UK.
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker
http://www.lydbury.co.uk

Offline Britta

• Administrator
  • Technical writer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 05:57:48 pm »
In Germany people used to think him funny when he started. These days his combination of extremism and charisma is seen as rather dangerous. We may not have the best politicians either, but neither can we understand how so many Americans are willing to support his extreme positions. A few years ago I thought a Ms. Palin couldn't be topped. Looks like I was wrong  :o
If it's not used by a native speaker it's not idiomatic. And idiom trumps grammar every time. Jack Wilkerson†

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 12:16:49 pm »
I know that Trump and some of the other Republicans seem to be the only people running for the Presidential nomination, but I am wondering how you all see Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders.  From outsiders' views and what you may have seen in the media, what is your take on each one?
Bertha

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 09:25:48 pm »
I wouldn't vote for any of them. But then, I wouldn't vote for any of our MPs or MEPs either. Total shower. :(
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 10:03:11 am »
I know that Trump and some of the other Republicans seem to be the only people running for the Presidential nomination, but I am wondering how you all see Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders.  From outsiders' views and what you may have seen in the media, what is your take on each one?

Well, I can detect that despite the fact that they are of the same political persuasion, there is not much love lost between them. I guess there is the point of view that Mr Sanders is at something of a disadvantage because he is up against a person who can make history as the first female President of the U.S.A. That has to carry a lot of punch - people like to be part of history making events.
As for their campaigns, both candidates seem to have their strong points and Mr Sanders seems to be on a roll with his win in Wisconsin. He has a lot of ground to make up to catch Mrs C, doesn't he?
Again, I can comment only as an outsider and what I see in the media. Most media outlets here seem to focus on Mr Trump, probably because of his brash, outspoken and somewhat pugnacious manner. That's what makes news. Mrs Clinton and BS seem to be in the background until she says or does something silly, as she has done on occasions.
Duncan says he wouldn't vote for any of them. You all have that option. Here voting is compulsory. Well, at least it is compulsory to show up at the polling place; no one knows what you write on the ballot paper. We have a significant number of 'informal' votes at every election.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 05:32:25 am »
So, Gene, how's Mr Trump doing lately ... and what's your take on his performance? Judging by the riots we see on TV, there are a lot of people a bit upset about him.

Gene

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 04:29:54 pm »
Darryl:

He is an enigma. I can't understand the attraction he has for so many people. Other folks consider him a buffoon. I personally belong to this latter category. I would never vote for the clown; however, other people have every right to vote for him if they like his brash style. We are, after all, a free democracy. If the people want a Joke for a president, they can vote him in. That doesn't speak very highly for America's intelligence.

I have probably offended dozens of people on this forum. If so, SCREW YOU...................GG

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 12:00:23 am »
I doubt that you have offended anyone, Gene. As you say ... democracy allows us the right to express opinion. Others can do the same. What astounds me about American politics is the way that candidates who are in the same party can be so openly nasty to one another. Things like that seem to be kept much less public here ... behind closed doors of the party room.
Looking in from the outside, I would think that even if Trump wins the Republican nomination, he has so many folk who would normally vote Republican offside that it will be a walk in the park for Hilary. Guess we'll just wait and see how it all pans out. Elections are such a long drawn-out affair in your country. Don't know how you put up with the hype.

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 11:41:34 am »
Don't know how you put up with the hype.
(Darryl)

By this point, many people have tired of the hype and the sniping, especially if the primary or caucus has been held in one's state.  The media chooses what they "report" on and which "stories" are important.  Those that are the most entertaining seem to be the "important" ones.  I try to watch and read a variety of opinions, but it gets tedious to sift through the chaff.  Many people have become rather jaded and entrenched, so there is little campaigning to do for a while.  Both Clinton and Trump seem to believe they have won the nominations. 
Bertha

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 11:14:06 pm »
Nuts, cookie, a pathological liar ... Wow, Mr Cruz really unloaded on Trump! And they're on the same team!

Offline Bertha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 12:12:47 pm »
Unless California and whatever other state primaries remain, Trump has the Republican nomination: http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-36200431.  Despite the win for Sanders in Indiana, it's not likely that he'll have the Democratic nomination even though I think many independents who would vote for him have not been able to do so in several state primaries.  I'm not the biggest fan of Clinton, but I suppose she's a better option than Trump.  I view him as a loose cannon.
Bertha

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 04:51:53 pm »
Devil and the deep blue sea - rock and a hard place. At least I know who I need vote for even though they will never win in my life time :(
Best wishes,

Duncan Baker